iOS 3.1 Bricked ipod touch 2G

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by splinters, Mar 2, 2010.

1. splinters

splinters New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Perhaps this should be subtitled: death by DFU.
    First, I am not a total noob and have jailbroken several ipods and iphones 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen.
    Which is why a friend asked me to do his.

Anyway, I ran blackrain on a 2G *GB ipod running 3.1.2, got the pretty picture and then the message that it was done. It went to reboot but it hung on a white screen. I waited for a while with no change then powered it off by the sleep button. When it came back on it went to the DFU screen so i connected and itunes started.
    Then the weird happened....I started downloading the 3.1.2 firmware to restore it (should I need to) and then it went off. After that the windows 'bing-bong' usb connection sound, black screen on ipod and the USB device not recognised.

Since then I tried every combination of restore (Hold and power, hold, power only, waiting 10 mins etc.)I cannot even get a sign of life from the ipod; nothing on screen at all...just black and it doesn't appear to be on.

I cannot get any PC to recognise it as an iPod and nothing on screen nor any way to restore as nothing recognizes it.
    My friend is gutted (it is just out of warranty) and I feel terrible as I was using it but I really have no idea. It just seems that it chose today to die.
    So, is there anything i can do or is it actually dead?
    Also sorry for using the word bricked but I tried for over 2 hours to get any sign of life out of it.
  2. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    First, try plugging it into a different USB port on your computer, and if no sounds are made, attempt to enter DFU.

If this doesnt work, get to a different computer to save yourself the hassle of reinstalling a sh*tload of stuff and drivers. Just plug it into the second computer, and if no sounds are made, attempt to enter DFU Mode again.

... And I wouldn't use the term "brick" with the word "iPod" or "iPhone" around here... o_o
  3. sam_rock

sam_rock Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    ^ Wat he said ^
  4. splinters

splinters New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Tried all those, can't get any PC or change of USB port to recognise it as an ipod (just the USB device not recognised error). No sign of life on the screen at all and no way to restore through itunes. I posted as a last resort having tried everything I found on the forums...but I am quick learning not to use the term 'brick'......
    Oh, and I stopped apple related processes, uninstalled itunes and all apple related stuff, reinstalled etc. Tried every combination of these I could think of for around three hours......nothing.
  5. itzJake

itzJake Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You've done everything I fink you can do, it's f***ed.
  6. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    first, why
    ?

yea. not really helping here.

--

try holding the home button, then plugging the ipod in.
  7. Legendairy

Legendairy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    keep trying.. its not dead

try different computers... macs.. try every combo...
    btw i noticed this in your post:
    "When it came back on it went to the DFU screen so i connected and itunes started. "
    there is no DFU screen, DFU is all black, if you saw a connect to itunes screen that means its in recovery mode
  8. itouchuser08

itouchuser08 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    first off,

which model is it, is it mb or mc
  9. splinters

splinters New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It is mb I believe (don't have it with me now). I tried plugging it in with the hold button down...just a black screen.
    Yeah, my bad on the DFU. It was the restore screen but, as explained, it disappeared too and no nothing.
    Having read more I see that I could be stuck in DFU mode (black screen( but there is no response to any of the plug in/hold/sleep suggestions I have seen or tried so far.
    Never seen anything like it before which is why I suspect it is dead (not bricked!)....
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Not sure about the gen (i just got the ipod back) but the serial starts 9C Model no: A1288 and there are four lines of text so I am thinking it is 2G.
  10. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    does the computer detect it in anyway? try using libusb.