iOS 3.1 Bricked iPod toch 2G into DFU?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by belinea, Feb 19, 2010.

1. belinea

belinea New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have an bricked iPod touch 2G which shows an red Logo

[PWNED!]

when turning it on. Sometimes it will shows an iTunes Logo (Recovery Mode). When this happens, iTunes regognizes it as an iPod. It is possible to do an Firmware Udate. It shows an Apple Logo with an progress bar, but when the firmware loader reaches 100% (after 8 minutes or so), nothing happens. The progress bar stays at 100%.

When I turn off/on the device, the red [PWNED!] logo is still there.

It is impossible to bring it into the DFU-Mode (the 10sec Power+Home Button method doesn´t work). I have a command line tool which loads a file onto the iPos (iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu). Also this tool doesn´t work.

Is there a chance to bring it into the DFU-Mode, or do you think it has defective Flash-Memory and only changing the LogicBoard is bringing the device back to live?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Because a restore with a fresh firmware doesn´t work, it's definitively a defective Flash-ROM.

Goodbey iPod.
  2. IxI Dan IxI

IxI Dan IxI New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sounds like you got [PWNED!] ?????

LOL.

DFU + restore doesnt work???

i was under the impression that you can not brick an IPT....
  3. belinea

belinea New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's impossible, to bring it into DFU mode.

But I think, some peoples can use the display for spare-parts on eBay. The display is quite fine.
    I have downloaded libusb and now it´s possible to enter DFU mode.

But when I upload a firmware with iTunes with enabled DFU, the iPod touch 2G stays at 100% (progress bar) and nothing happens. When I unplug it, the [PWNED!] logo is still there and the touch is not booting.
    I have also tried Boothelper 0.8 and redTool 0.89 to write a new bootloader --> no success.
    Also no success with Cyw00ds Jailbreak Helper. All what I get after the restore with iTunes is the red [PWNED!] Logo on the screen of the iPod touch.
  4. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I had this issue as well, I let it sit for 10 minutes and it worked itself out eventually and booted fine. However after re-jailbreaking, it again "froze" after "downloading jailbreak" but after leaving it alone (on!) for a long time it sorted itself out. I couldn't get it to DFU and only randomly enter recovery (connect to itunes). Don't be impatient and turn it off/reboot. Now it works swimmingly, reboots right quick. I have verbose boot enabled and I noted something interesting: during the times it "freezes" at boot, the ipod leaves a message "Waiting for root device" once about every minute. Until finally after 6 or so go by it resumes booting. It reboots normally afterward.
  5. happyarlando

happyarlando New Member

Did you ever find a proper solution to this?

EXACTLY the same thing has happended to me and i have tried EkriirkE's solution, but trust me its still not working? Did you find out how to fix it? thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. moshonas

moshonas Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Unless there is a hardware issue, it cannot be bricked. The DFU chip is acessed by the sequence of buttons to press, and it allows the device to be restored. That way it completely by-passes your software. If it will no go into DFU, then it may be the chip
  7. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Make sure you are doing DFU correctly.

Turn it off and plug it in.

Hold the power button for 5 seconds.

While holding the power button, hold the power+home buttons for 10 seconds.

Let go of the power button and hold the home button as long as it takes for the computer to recognize it.
  8. audk14

audk14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    where can you get libusb exactly? im having the same problem. i cant get my computer to recognize the driver for my ipod touch, this also stops it from letting it go into dfu and itunes finding it.