iOS 4.0 Bricked during installation? Here's how to fix it!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by joes, Jun 21, 2010.

1. joes

joes New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Fix: Stuck on "Connect to Itunes" screen after installation

Hi guys, this is my first guide so please don't be harsh on me

Please Register or Log in to view images

Introduction
    Ok guys, I know how frustrating it is to brick an iDevice. In fact, today I bricked my touch after attempting an install of the iOS4 firmware -on iTunes 9.1 and did a huge mess.

How I messed it up

-I downloaded iOS4 from another site
    -I pressed shift+restore on iTunes
    [Everything looked allright so far]
    -Then, PUM! An error message.
    -I tried to restore back to 3.1.3
    -Touch got frozen during the last few stages of the restore
    -Forced restored my touch and my pc
    -Attempted to restore back to 3.1.3 again and got the error message 1603.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    How to fix it
    For both methods, you will need iTunes 9.2. Read for more info!

So, now that we know how I messed things up, let's see how I fixed it..

First, leave your iDevice alone. Then, make sure that you have the 9.2 version of iTunes (to check, press Help-->About iTunes). If you don't have the 9.2 version of iTunes DO NOT UPDATE, but download it from another website -apple.com should work just fine. After the Setup file has been downloaded, set up itunes 9.2 (remmember to run as Administrator). Afterwards, you have to choices:

Download a brand new copy of iOS4
    OR, if you have an unmodified version of the firmware on your PC, restore it.

Downloading a new copy
    Plug your bricked iDevice into your PC. A message on iTunes should popup saying that an iPod / iPhone has been found in recovery mode (or something like that) and that it must be restored so that iTunes is able to use it properly. Go to your iPod on itunes and click the big fat button which says "Restore". Now, let it download and it will extract into your iDevice and voila, your iDevice has been fixed.

Using a copy of iOS4 previously downloaded to your PC -not via itunes
    Plug your bricked iDevice into your PC. A message on iTunes should popup saying that an iPod / iPhone has been found in recovery mode (or something like that) and that it must be restored so that iTunes is able to use it properly. Go to your iPod on itunes and Press the shift key while hitting the button "Restore". Browse for your file, click OK and it will successfully restore your iDevice to iOS4.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helped, it's not nice to brick an iDevice, but here's how to fix it! Please, please comment if this was useful.

~your friendly neighbour joes
  2. all_against_one

all_against_one New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I am sorrry to say but the devie isn't bricked by any means... If it was bricked you couldn't do ANYTHING with it.. Your device just got hung up in the restore while you were using the incorrect version of iTunes.. Nice tutorial but you should change the name.

3. joes

joes New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks for the thumbs up! And thanks for pointing that out, man

!
    I will change it now to "Fix: Stuck on connect to iTunes after installation"

-And it didn't say "iTunes 9.2 is required" until later on, when I did manage to restore to iOS4