Breaking my iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 360freak, Apr 13, 2008.

1. 360freak

360freak New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I posted about this a while back. After getting a tiny scratch on my Touch, my OCD self ordered some Apple Sauce polish. Apparently, before stated on the website, this doesn't work with the front of the Touch. It completely removed the scratch resistant thingy on it, so now it's scratching a lot worse than before. I'm still under warranty, but it doesn't cover damage caused by third party products. I'm trying to find a way to break my iPod without them realizing it was me so I can get a new one under warranty. I was going to go the dead pixel route, but I heard that they're really picky on replacing because of that. Any suggestions?
  2. KingOfWar

KingOfWar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Pwn it? Or mOd like 50 of your songs to appear as if they are skipping. Do it with my nano and get moneys back. That's how I bought by touch LOL
  3. Nemes

Nemes New Member

The proper thing to do is own up to your mistake, and not try to make Apple replace it. Attempting to break it to get a new one is dishonest at best, fraud at worst.

My advice would be to look in to selling your current Touch as a source of replacement parts, that would make purchasing a new Touch much cheaper for you.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Cjb695

Cjb695 New Member

very true. +rep
  5. 360freak

360freak New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I would...if it actually took Apple more than 5 bucks to actually replace the faceplate.
  6. Nemes

Nemes New Member

Then find a second-hand faceplate and replace it yourself. "It won't cost Apple much" is terrible logic.
  7. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well if you break it, like what you want to do, it will cost apple more than just replacing the faceplate. Grow up, learn to accept your own mistakes and stop trying to get something for nothing. Why are you so special that you deserve to get your ipod replaced because you caused it to scratch through your own mistakes.
  8. 360freak

360freak New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It will cost a ton for me from a third party vendor, and that voids my warranty. A faceplate for apple to replace direct from their OWN factory will cost next to nothing. And none of you get pissed at this guy? http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57652
  9. fmskunk

fmskunk New Member

I tried over heating my 16 gig with a blow dryer, but it's still able to restore

The reason I did this is because, one time I had a messed up power adapter, and it "over heated" my iPod touch, and the techie at the Apple Store said that it just over-heated from a bad power adapter, and he gave me a new one right on the spot

Mine is very scratched up and sh*tty, plus has a couple indents, so I think it's time to get it replaced. I don't see anything wrong with doing this because I paid for my warranty, and this is the only time I will be doing this. I'm going to buy a cover so I never get scratches on it again.

I'm gonna go into the Apple Store tomorrow and tell them that I'm having battery problems and that my songs are skipping like crazy (true, but I will have an iPod that will need to be restored, so no songs from them to listen to) and that the iPod over-heats consistently.

Is this a good idea?
  10. Nemes

Nemes New Member

You already voided your warranty when you used a substance to remove the protective coating from the screen. You have no warranty left to get the iPod repaired in the first place. You are not entitled to warranty service to repair things that you broke yourself. I won't deny your situation sucks, but take some personal responsibility for your actions and mistakes.

As for that other thread, I have not yet read that one.