iPhone 3G Bought iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bsium, Jun 22, 2009.

1. bsium

bsium New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Ok so here's the deal. I'm getting a 3G off craigslist in a couple days. A woman is selling it who's had it for less than a year. Anyway, I'm getting a new AT&T sim card in the mail and I don't have service with AT&T. Once I get the phone and sim card what do I have to do after I call to activate the sim. Do I just pop it in the phone and set up a plan or what? I would think i don't need to sign any contract with AT&T right, since i already have a phone. Thanks.
  2. germ

germ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i am confused on what you are trying to do....

in order for you to make or recieve any calls or texts or any data (other than through wifi) you WILL need a plan with a carrier (if in the USA, that would be ATT or Tmobile).

if on ATT, you will need to set up a plan (unless your doing a pay as you go deal with prepaid cards and such), and then on top of setting up a plan, you may end up being forced to get the iPhone plan which is expensive. Do your research about the plan types and how to get away with not having to get the iphone plan. so yes, you would need to call them, but be advised you are not guaranteed to be accepted on a plan with ANY carrier. If you are currently an ATT customer, be advised that ATT might still be able to tell that your on an iPhone and automatcally upgrade you to the iPhone plan. do your research, there are ways around this (for the time being).

if your on Tmobile, ANY plan with at least get you phone service. i would suggest getting the minute plan that best suits your needs, then add in a data package plan of some sort. again, there are ways to go cheap on this and "trick" tmobile and using a cheaper plan, so again, do your research. I would also include some sort of text/mms package as well. if you dont plan on using the data from the phone carrier, just make sure you turn off a few settings after you jailbreak and unlock it, otherwise the 3g may send random data requests through your carrier, and you WILL get billed for this (unless your on a plan, then it just comes out of your allowable data usage).

man, somebody should sticky that, lol.
  3. bsium

bsium New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I appreciate this info. Thanks alot.
    I know I need a plan. I was planning on signing up with AT&T. I was hoping I didn't need to sign a contract thats all really.