Bought a 2G 16gb today. My battery drains really fast.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BuyorNo, Nov 11, 2008.

1. BuyorNo

BuyorNo New Member

I just fully charged it, and the green bar was full. Ran it for about 30 min and I was down to 25%. I put the charger back in and it goes up to 50% in about 5 min. It's really weird. I dont get it.

Is this normal?
  2. 1adam1

1adam1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    no. but sometimes i guess you have to fully deplete the battery and recharge it a few times for the guage to be accurate. if that doesnt work take it back.
  3. newton1221

newton1221 New Member

if you hadnt plugged it back in to charge, the battery would have likely gone back up without charging, this happens in some cell phones too, at least from my experience if you put the device under a high battery usage situation and then leave it alone afterward its like the reading goes way down assuming your going to keep doing that high usage thing but then realizes you stopped so it goes back up, now dont take this too seriously cuz i have no evidence to back this, im just saying from my experience if (in the case of my cell phone for instance) i make a 30 min call and end it and look at my battery it might say i have 1 of 4 bars, and then i look back in like 5 mins and it says i have 2 of 4 bars, i dunno, im assuming this is also something that could happen to the touch although i dont really have it happen to me

and also when i charge my touch the first 75% takes no time but the last 25% takes like an hour or more, so it could just be that its like that, i dont really know
  4. netflixer

netflixer New Member

Restore, maybe it's the battery meter.
    If that doesn't work then take it to Apple.
  5. JAD

JAD New Member

It might not be a problem. If you're using wifi then you can wipe a lot off the battery really fast. And they do tend to recharge really fast when new. Were you using the internet when it drained so quickly? Nothing else should cause that rapid of a depletion though.
  6. www719

www719 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
  7. pegaxs

pegaxs Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    DONT restore. restoring is not the answer to everything. Its not even the anwser to most things. Restoring is to replace backed up info, such as apps and settings. It is not to fix software issues. If a car has run out of petrol, you do not rebuild the engine, transmission and drive line. you just put more fuel in it.

It is normal for a lithium ion battery to do this when it is brand new. what you should have done is charge the battery up over night. use it until it is almost empty then do that cycle again. this will help set the battery internally and help set the battery meter software.

What you are doing will have a huge effect on the battery meter as well. if you are playing games on it and using the wifi, it will eat the battery and extract power from it at maximum volume. as the other user said though, if you stop playing them and leave it to rest, when you come back the battery meter will be ok. like a car, if you drive around at full throttle, it will empty the tank in 5 mins. if you get to half a tank and slow up, then you will get another 50 mins driving around.

The two biggest power consumers in any small device is the LCD screen and any radio device, be it wifi, bluetooth, gps (as a receiver not transmitter), mobile phone and so on. other things are like accelerometers, external speakers and so forth. when you play games you are using almost everything that consumes power at the same time. LCD, speakers, some have wifi connected.

as a test, before you "restore" or "return it for a new unit" is to test it in different modes. set it up to just play mp3's from a full charge. see how long it takes. then try the same thing again after a full charge, while using the web browser and wifi, then last of all, charge it up to full again, download a game that you can play over wifi that uses external speakers and lots of tilting motions.

most of all, dont forget that it is a new unit, you will need to cycle the battery a few times. do a few full cycles, but do not let the battery drop too low as this can also kill them.
  8. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

from what I've seen, the battery icon seems to ESTIMATE usage. It shows you what's remaining if you keep going at the rate you are. So, if you have music playing, wi-fi on, and a bunch of apps running for a while, your iPod will estimate the battery life. if you just put it on music player, then into sleep mode for 20 hours, it won't be drained more than half.

What's your brightness level set to? That plays a HUGE part in battery life. Turn it down as low as you can without making it look crappy to your eyes.
  9. iblackwind

iblackwind New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    mine too only last for a day with an hour or so of music with volume level slightly higher then half ,a couple of games and a bit of wifi then battery bar red
  10. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    "condition" the new battery

..like they said, "condition" a new battery, a few "cycles" and avoid running down into the "red" (about 20%) because the number of "full-cycles" is the life of the battery. This means, charge it up before it gets into the "red" (about 20%) and "needs" charging.

In "Settings" and in "Brightness" dim down the display a bit and/or set to "Auto-Brightness" ON - the display is very adequate, because it will adjust in different ambient lighting conditions.

In "Settings" "General" consider setting "Auto-Lock" to "2 minutes" "5 minutes" or whatever, but not "Never". "Auto-Lock" is especially good for listening to music, because Touch 2G will continue to play music with the display turned off.

Unless you are on "Shuffle" in "Music" it will shut itself down.

I set a timer on some background sounds in "I Chill Out" web ap.

I have my Touch connected with DLO accessories to the outlet in the vehicle and neither battery ever runs down, not so far. I can't do THAT with the laptop.