Bose In Ear Review

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by thechungster, Oct 25, 2009.

1. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

I’ve had these for just over a year now and since it’s another very boring Sunday, I’m going to write a relatively small review on these. I only bought these because they were Bose and I thought the design was cool back then. Knowing nothing about headphones then, I decided to buy them because obviously more expensive = better quality...right?

Before I start, I have lost the case and the other eartips supplied.

Design, comfort & durability

The Bose In Ears aren’t really in ears. They are more earbud than in ear since these do not create a seal, except they have these odd looking tips that stretch into the canal. Even though these have an odd design, they are relatively comfortable and cause hardly any fatigue. The only problems with this design is that they fall out of my ears easily and that there is barely any isolation. The tips are made out of this very soft silicon which isn’t ordinary. The housing is constructed of black plastic and it has this grill which doesn’t really do anything I think. There is a small hole with allows the bass to get in, bit like the Sennheiser IE8 but without the adjustable dial. Now here’s the worst part of the design, the cable. The cable is very sticky and gets tangled very easily. It twists all over the place and is definitely not very good. I had these for 6 months till the left side just died. I can adjust it slightly so sound can come out of the left sound. The plug is gold plated and near the plug there is this odd PCB, believed to be an equaliser (Why Bose?) So for durability, they aren’t the best. Obviously it might just be me treating them with no care.

Sound

Like in my Grado HF2 review, I’ll be listening to a range of albums. My source is a MacBook using 320kbps/ALAC files. The list of albums is as follows:

• Utada Hikaru - Heart Station (J-Pop)
    • Utada Hikaru - Ultra Blue (J-Pop)
    • Metallica - Master of Puppets (Metal)
    • System of A Down - Toxicity (Metal)
    • Owl City - Ocean Eyes (Pop)
    • Justice - Cross (House)
    • Daft Punk - Alive 2007 (House)
    • Muse - The Resistance (Rock)
    • Kasabian - Empire (Indie Rock)
    • Jimmy Reed - Jimmy Reed At Carnegie Hall (Blues)
    • High and Mighty Color - Go Over (Pop/Rock)
    • London Symphony Orchestra - The Classic Experience (Classical)

So again, I’ll listen to some Utada Hikaru to begin with and instantly I know something’s wrong with the sound. All I hear is a big hump in the lower bass. It drowns out the mids and the lack of treble. The mids are very hollow and lack depth, whilst there’s hardly any treble extension and detail. Songs such as Passion is just ruined by the amount of bass. It’s definitely the typical Bose sound signature. J-Pop should, in my opinion, be just about the mids and treble and not so much bass. This confuses it around and makes it sound like western pop. So the bass. It’s overpowering everything and is actually making me feel light headed. It’s muddy, and it’s not the best. Mids are hollow and lack detail, so does the treble. Not the best for Utada Hikaru I’m afraid.

Now to try some rock, pop and house. First listened to some System of A Down, and I found that there’s also a lack of instrument separation. I’m finding the sound to be just one string of mess and I can’t distinguish some sounds. This probably isn’t helped by the bass. Listening to some Metallica and it’s just too bass heavy for metal. I just hear mid bass and it’s taking it’s just not involving me inside the music. With some Daft Punk, I realise why I liked these when I first got them. I actually feel two subwoofers in my ears and I’d guess that’s good for some people. Of course I don’t crave for bass anymore, I crave for mids and treble

These would be decent for people who love lots of bass, but for me it’s a no. Owl City is the same as I’ve said before, too much bass ruining the music for me.

Now for blues and classical. For blues, thank you for not having so much bass! Due to the lack of bass in the songs compared to pop and such, I can actually focus on the rest of the spectrum properly. Mids and treble are both very laid back. There’s nothing special to be honest. Classical feels rather lifeless...since the mids and the treble are so laid back. I’m not being involved in the music as well, which I don’t like.

Conclusion

So if you want bass and nothing else, just go for these. There are definitely better alternatives out there on the market and I really recommend you look at them. The only genre in which I think they suit is electronic and nothing else.
  2. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Nice review, I'd still begrudge spending £79 on a pair of headphones but that's just me.
  3. div^

div^ New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    they look ugly
    they sound terrible
    they are expensive ... lol
    the list goes on

Bose is good (not the best) on speakers imo ... but not really on headphones
    great review chung as always
  4. deepblue

deepblue New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  5. OhSyx

OhSyx New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    That was not a good review at all. You didn't test any Hip-hop and you're judging sound quality based on J-Pop. Thanks I guess that's useful for 1% of the North American population
  6. P0150N0U5 F15)-(

P0150N0U5 F15)-( Banned

Why don't we test Icelandic folk music whilst we are at it. And how about some patriotic North Korean anthems? Not everyone likes hip-hop.
  7. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Oh so you missed that entire paragraph on rock and pop and then the small paragraph on blues and classical? Thanks for reading it then. And you might have missed a few things.

• I don't have any hip hop on my library, because it is not my thing.
    • If I was to download some hip hop, how am I meant to review it? I'm not familiar with it.
    • Not everyone listens to hip hop, many people listen to a variety of music.
    • The genres and albums I picked are from my library and what I like. I have read many reviews in which the writer includes a list of songs/albums I have never heard of. What do I do? Read on.
    • Am I judging sound quality based on J-Pop alone? No. Read the entire review.
    • If I did only review it on J-pop, how would it have made any difference? The headphone would still be very bassy and lack detail.
    • 1%? Really?

Also not everyone comes from North America.
  8. P0150N0U5 F15)-(

P0150N0U5 F15)-( Banned

Yes, he gets his statistics from the CIA no less.
  9. twilighter

twilighter Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    lmfao.
    good one.

good job! nice review! i was going to correct that dude up there but both you guys beat me to it haha.

well written and you sure do know a lot about headphones/earphones lol
  10. Sup3rsonic

Sup3rsonic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you can read, he didn't JUST judge it on J-pop. He used a variety of music from his Macbook. Good review, was an enjoyable read