Review Boqari Q1 Earbuds

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by rmc08, May 2, 2010.

1. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    [Review] Boqari Q1 Earbuds

BOQARI, a sub-company of JLab Audio, was willing to send me a sample of the BOQARI Q1's for me to review here at iPod Touch Fans, so you (the reader) can learn about how well this product works, and to also see if the earphones are the right ones for you. This is in no way a biased review, nor is it an advertisement in order to get you to buy their product. This review is strictly my opinion!

BOQARI Q1 Earbuds

Visit Homepage

Please Register or Log in to view images

Review Notes:

Hey guys, rmc08 here with another one of my great reviews! I haven't reviewed in a while, so I hope this review isn't too rusty. I've been holding off on another pair of earphones and I will hopefully get to that soon. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this one!

Click Pictures For VERY High-Resolution!

First Impressions

When I got the e-mail from BOQARI, I was very excited to review one of their first products, the BOQARI Q1's. In the pictures, they look like shiny and attractive earbuds, and have a unique design. Opening the "BOQARI" labeled box, you'll find a sweet looking case (similar to the JLab J3 case) that has a metal logo titled "BOQARI", and also has a metal zipper from the B of BOQARI. Opening the case, you'll find the earbuds and 7 pairs of different fittings. In the pictures, they looked a lot more shiny, but they still look like pretty sweet earbuds.

Earphone Specifications

Housing: Hand cut aluminium
    Cable: Clear tpe over braided cable
    Magnet: Rare Earth Magnet
    Impedance: 16Ω
    Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz
    Normal Input: 2mW
    Max. Power: 5mW
    Speaker Sensitivity: 86±3dB (at 1KHz 1mW)
    Channel Balance: Within 3dB (at 1KHz 1mW)
    Distance Y to Jack: 72cm
    Distance Y to Earbud: 30cm

Build Quality

When you look at the earphones, they look as if they're made of a heavy metal, but they're actually made from light aluminum material. With some previous earphones I had, they always fell out unless you clipped it to your shirt because of the heavy material they're made of. The wires are very well constructed, and over a two week period still haven't twisted around inside. The wire doesn't seem suseptable to a tear either, and the plastic around the wires is pretty thick. Lastly, the ear pieces are nicely made, and don't seem to break when dropped or hit against something. I can't imagine these tearing or breaking when getting caught on something, because the piece that binds the wire to the earbud is quite durable.

Comfort Quality

When I popped these earphones in the first time, the defaulted earbuds were just my size. But, I did notice that there was some space seeping through. That did not affect comfort in any respect. After using these for two weeks, I've found them to be pretty comfortable, and I never need to adjust them to gain comfort from them. You don't even need to jam them into your ear to get them in, unlike Apple Earbuds. Lastly, when I put the case in my pocket, it is a bit bulky, and I wish it was just a bit more compact so it could take up less room in my pocket.

Audio Quality

Noise Isolation

In all honesty, these didn't have the greatest noise isolation, but it's pretty good. In a low-medium environment, they block out a good amount of sound, leaving only somewhat noticable sound seeping through. But, on something such as a plane, chances are they won't block that out. In a room with about 50-60 people, muffles can be heard from their voices. But for example, if you're in a car or on a bus, they work very well for noise isolation. Overall, the isolation is actually pretty good, but not the greatest I've heard.

Bass

Ah, yes. The bass, my favorite part of earphones. These deliver a great boom of bass, and my Happy Hardcore sounds magnificent. Although, the "highs", or punchy part of the bass, isn't really noticable. The lows of the bass are fantastic, and great for rap and hip-hop, but electronica or trance isn't for these buds.

If you like hip-hop or rap, the bass is perfect for those genres.

Treble/Mid

I have listened to alternative, happy hardcore, rock, and electronica using the Q1's. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it about 8.7/10. It's a bit over average, but didn't really "wow" me. I think their JBud J3's had a much better treble, but then again, the Q1's seem to be more for the rap and hip-hop genre, like Skullcandy earbuds. Electronica is pretty good, but the synth's treble isn't too powerful. Vocal (mid) though, does sound VERY good. That is my supporting reason on why rap sounds good; rap is mostly vocals. The song "Empire State of Mind" feat. Jay-Z and Alicia Keys was really great sounding on these. Overall, these earbuds are for specific genres only, and if you're looking for hip-hop earbuds, THESE are the right ones.

Now for the results...

Audio Quality: 8.8

• Noise Isolation: 8.3
    • Bass: 9.0
    • Treble Mid: 8.7

I really can't stress this enough, but the Q1's really are mind blowing for the genre of hip-hop and rap. Though, I was really hoping for a wider spectrum of sound.

Build Quality: 9.3

They have a great build quality! The wires aren't twistable, they are nice and light, and they don't seem as if they'd break easily if caught on something.

Comfort: 9.2

These earphones are pretty comfortable, and are like most other earbuds in terms of comfort. Other switchable earbud sizes may increase your comfort, and others not so much.But, it all depends on your ear shape!

Average: 9.1

Conclusion:

These earphones are great, and I reccomend them to any hip-hop lovers. The only down-side is they are a bit pricy at $100, and I was thinking more along the $60-80 range. Otherwise, the earphones are great, and if you're looking for hip-hop earphones, think about buying these before you go and spend a lot on Sennheiser, Sony or Dr. Dre!

Click Here to buy the BOQARI Q1 Earphones $99.95
  2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It's nice to see you around rmc

And another fabulous review. Did you take those pictures? They look great.
  3. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Thank you

And yes, I took those pictures using a macro lens, they came out awesome

4. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Hey, awesome review!

I'll have to remember to front page this later. I'd do it now, but I don't want to take any of the Spirit jailbreak discussion away from the FP thread.
  5. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Thanks JKK

I don't mind when it goes up, but I would be very pleased if it did at some point. Thanks, and nice to see you and Kiks around the forum

6. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Oh wow. Great review, and great timing. My iPod earphones went through today, so I'll definitely consider these when buying a new pair.
  7. NayLoMo6C

NayLoMo6C New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    To me honestly, these look like just another pair of skullcandy-esque earphones, form over function. I'll definitely consider saving more than $80 and get a pair of Sennheiser CX-300's, which are superb in-ear earphones.
  8. The Burrito

The Burrito New Member

These look great, and an excellent review! I will definitely consider buying a pair of these when these that I have now die on me/I drop them in the sink again.
  9. Unreal Boy

Unreal Boy Member

Device:
    iPad
    nice review! I will definately consider these as I do need a new pair of head phones
  10. simonkash

simonkash New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Nice review, but you should know that these are not "earbuds" but in fact in-ears, which really makes a huge difference regarding noise cancelling and thus the experience of sound.

Agreed, they totally look like they could be something like "Lady GaGa's thingys, Mark II"

EDIT:
    I have to say, from my experience (and from the fact that you stress the bass over and over again) these seem to be just another beginners in-ear packed in a shiny shell.
    Having heard the Sennheiser CX-300 and the about equally priced Ultimate Ears MetroFi 170 as well as many other entry-level in-ears I can tell you that the sound signature is almost the same with all of them. A sh*tload of bass, some highs, and the rest isn't worth mentioning.
    The best quality I heard in this price range are the Ultimate Ears; compared to the CX300s they are a lot more detailed (despite having similar characteristics). By now I own a pair of UE's Triple.fi 10s, which cost about $200 (and were like $400 back in the day) - I can tell you, there's much more to come once you start getting into in-ears and stuff.
    It's just that from my experience, there are a few brands which produce great products in a beginner's price range (i.e. Sennheiser, UE) and almost every new brand at the moment prioritizes style over sound quality. That doesn't mean that the Boqaris are destined to sound bad, I haven't heard them, so how would I know. It's just that looking at all these brands like WESC and Skullcandy and such, I would be careful before spending quite a lot of money on some earphones before having listened to them.
    Just my two cents