Booting into DFU Mode With A Broken Home Button

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DarkWrath, Aug 14, 2009.

1. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Disclaimer: I DO NOT hold responsibility if this causes any damage whatsoever to your device.

Note: I did a quick search and did not see any similar clear guides so I made this. I apologise if one exists.

Note 2: Some say that after using this method, the iPod enters an unresponsive state that lasts for a while but eventually wears off.

Note 3: I *might* make a video tutorial to ease the process if there is a high enough demand. Just drop a message in the thread if you want it.

I made this guide to help anybody who has ever needed to go into DFU mode but has a broken Home Button. I have not tried this myself but this fix was found by MuscleNerd so it *should* work.

This was done on a 3.0 firmware for ipt2g.

1. Acquire an .ipsw applicable for your device.

2. Rename the .ipsw to .rar and open the .ipsw in WinRAR (or an equivalent file browser). Do not extract it!

3. Navigate to Firmware/all_Flash/all_flash.n72ap.production, copy out the applelogo.s5l8720x.img3 file, rename it to LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3 and then overwrite the LLB File with this.

4. Exit out of the editor and change the extension back to an .ipsw

5. Then Restore your iDevice to the modified firmware and it should kick it into DFU mode! (With maybe an error or 2 :S)

This is why it should work

Credits to sewe3007 for making me even aware of this!

If I have missed anything out can someone please correct me immediately to inadvertently avoid someone causing damage to their device
  2. sewe3007

sewe3007 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Looks right, but i could open the .ipsw in winrar without renaming it so i don't think that is neccesary...

and

You're Welcome

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Cheat_Code

Cheat_Code Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Well i did this and i got dfu mode.
    Then when i tryedto restore it gave me a error 1600 and then a error 1601 and never came back on.
    I hate to use the word bricked. But i belive it is.
  4. sewe3007

sewe3007 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well i don't know what device you used, but i used a 2G iPod touch,,, and if you used an iphone i think as far as i knows there is a little more you'll have to do...

and i hate to use the word bricked to but my ipod acted like that to when i jailbreaked it after i had done this... it wouldn't do anything at all... but when i plugged it in my computer next day it was recognized by the computer even though it wasn't the day before...

But i really shouln't give advice in this kinda stuff... i know absolutely nothing about it...
    all i know is that i saw a tip posted on another forum, i tried it and it worked for me...
  5. Cheat_Code

Cheat_Code Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I know same thing for me. It didnt work yesterday night. I left it unpluged all day while i was at school and BLAM it shows. Dumb iPhone.
  6. JoeyB

JoeyB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    So, I have a faulty power button. So, this will work I was wanting to make sure one thing though, I talked to my friend about this he is a dev (sorta

) and he said he found this out playing around but never posted it etc etc; so he told me after I do this he to plug it into iTunes and it will say the device malfunctioned then you unplug it and plug it back in and it it's in DFU but what I was going to ask was if I do this then run redsn0w it will jailbreak it right? I'm gonna do this when 3.0.1 comes out and is jailbroken

7. Olehk8

Olehk8 New Member

Nice guide, and btw, Bricking is vertualy impossible as DFU mode is built-in hardware. Only way to brick it is to mess somthing up the the point where the ipod gets stuck at the bootlogo or somthing and then take it apart, remove the DFU hardware and put it back togerther
  8. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I'm glad it worked out

I'm not promising anything, but it should work since it's in DFU, and the next release will be 3.1

9. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Damn! Does that mean that the 2g ipod touch still has the home button problem? I bought mine just a week ago! Please tell me that it doesn't break as easily as the first gen one. Thanks!
  10. JoeyB

JoeyB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I've had my 2g for a while and I've left it on top of my mom's car she drove down the road when she turned it fell of the car and went into a Golf Course ditch that's right out side of the subdivision and we found it it had alot of scratches on the back but that's about it nothing else all the buttons still worked then one day my power button stopped working, well it works but its like jammed and I can press the button up and down so its weird.