Books on 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by sadgoat, Aug 4, 2008.

1. sadgoat

sadgoat New Member

Hi everyone, I have a quick question for you all.

I used to be jailbroken on 1.1.4 and I had installer. I had books.app and had a great source for lots of good books. How can I get a similar set-up with 2.0?

I figure that I will have to jailbreak again to put books on without paying for them, but how can I get the books? I was just curious if one can get them off cydia or if there is some way I can SSH them onto my ipod from my computer.

Thank you in advance for any helpful responses.
  2. sadgoat

sadgoat New Member

just bumping this back up to see if anyone has any info
  3. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

SSH from PC. However, Books will not work with 2.0 due to Toolchain changes. You'll need to either buy Bookshelf (made by the same Zachary Bedell of Books.app, but with FB2 and MobiPocket PRC/MOBI support, a la ruBooks), or get Stanza or something else. After that, SSH to /var/mobile/eBooks the same way you used to.
  4. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Would you be able to add PDF's? PM me information please.
  5. Jarlath

Books never supported PDF. ruBooks did, but that's another program. PDF's are readable by Safari, no other third-party apps for PDF yet on 2.0. Everything I've posted is available via search function as well.
  6. ElTres

ElTres New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You fail. AppStore Apps are not allowed to access /var/mobile/, so SSH does not help.
    For 2.0 JB there is BookReader which is similar to Books.
    ReaddleDocs in AppStore can handle PDFs, download from Webpages is possible.
  7. elf-bunny

elf-bunny New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Bookreader is the app you want then. After you buy it, go to their website and download the BookShelf application. From there, you can all the books you used to have from other book apps.
  8. Axed008

Axed008 New Member

Well I got the free one called eReader, and you can go to sites and download books. But some of them are .rar's and the iPod Touch won't download those. Is there any other way to get eBooks onto your Touch?
  9. Jarlath

SSH does work with JB. You SSH the books into the /Documents folder in /var/Mobile/Applications/(hexadecimal string)-BookShelf with JB 2.0. Or, if you're using TextReader, you SSH them into /var/Mobile/Media. Or you can run the ShelfServer JVM if you want the PC to do it for you automatically.

elfBunny: BookShelf is the application you're talking about, with ShelfServer being the program that lets you set up a network share to DL books from. BookReader is an HTML-only book reader program, and you have to SSH files into /var/mobile/Media/eBooks
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    And in case I wasn't clear enough above, the folder you SSH into to put books on depends on what program you're using. TextReader can go to any folder to browse for them; BookReader needs them in /var/mobile/Media/eBooks, as listed above.

BookShelf? You're on your own. Figure out which hex-string is BookShelf, then go into that folder. In there, there's "bookshelf.app" and "Documents" - drop the books into Documents for BookShelf to recognize them. Or just use the JVM application on the BookShelf site and save yourself the headache of figuring out which folder is it.
  10. nikeair

nikeair New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Get Stanza for all your books.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I have Stanza and eReader on my iPod touch. All the books that I can't get on Stanza I just get on eReader. Both apps are great and they are also free.

These apps made me decide not to jailbreak 2.0.2 tell it is a bit easier to do so.