Bluetooth solution?

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by Parm289, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, so i read in the comments on the touchmods blog that a paired Jabra 125s Bluetooth dongle and Motorola ht-820 headset work with the touch and sip-voip.

First, i would like confirmation from somebody that this is true. Before i go on a hunt for providers and these bluetooth components, i want to make sure it works.

Second, if it does indeed work, then shouldnt any bluetooth headset work with the Jabra dongle, as long as the two items were paired before being connected to the touch? (It was a requirement for the 125s and ht-820 to be paired before being connected to the touch.) The main reason i ask is because while the dongle only costs $24.99, the ht-820 costs $120. At that price, i moght as well go for the touchmods standalone mic. I would rather have a bluetooth headset, so i could talk, etc with my touch in my pocket.

Just want some clarification on this. If the bluetooth solution works, then it would be nice to be able to listen to music wire-free and be able to use sip-voip and other voice apps.
  2. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  3. Sparky1010

Sparky1010 New Member

Lol Parm, I'm the one that asked him about that. What I can tell you is, it will probably work if you pair before hand. Like I said in the comments, I have a pair of Sony bluetooth wireless headphones and the bluetooth adapter, along with a pair of logitech wireless bluetooth headphones and bluetooth adapter.
    My Logitech adapter recently broke but it was running on its own battery so it could have been paired before hand and then connected to my sony headphones which have a built in mic in them (while the logitech ones don't). But the sony adapter doesn't not have the ability to pair before connecting, as it takes the ipod power to run. So I have that delema. I recently purchased the touchmods mic and have it here. So when I get a call while I use the logitech headphones with the sony adapter (I prefer them over the sony headphones), I change out the sony adapter with the touchmods mic and plug in some wired headphones. Though, you just stated that the adapter Maykell suggested is only 25 dollars and can pare ahead of time, I'm possibly willing to go check the adapter out and try to pair and get the mic to work if I get a chance. Let me know if you understand what I said, or just some comment.
  4. Sparky1010

Sparky1010 New Member

OK, I don't want to make a new thread for this but see if this will give some help.. if any.. maybe you have some ideas as to what I can do to pair before connecting.

I made a quick video with my camera.. so bare with me.
    http://filesmelt.com/Filehosting2/downloader.php?file=100_0008.MOV

By the way, it won't open on the ipod, too big it says.
  5. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, I'm really glad we could touch base here. I'm downloading your video right now to see exactly what you're talking about.

About your first post - I think i understand what you're saying: there is no way to pair the devices before connecting, because the dongle needs power from the ipod. Immediately I thought that it might be possible to plug the dongle in to another ipod model (say video or classic) and pair it with the headphones. Then, you could plug the dongle into the touch. The only specific I don't know is if the items need to be paired before connecting to ANY ipod, or just the touch. That is one possible solution.

The major problem is, after reading a lot of posts and touchmods comments, is if the dongle connects to the right pins to offer audio-in to the touch. Basically, even if we get the pair beforehand, will the dongle be able to send the audio to the touch to be used by the OS? From what I read, the answer seems to be no, unless you manually mod the dongle. This could be a roadblock, because in order to verify that audio-in pins are enabled, you may need to open the dongle.

A way to test out the problem of audio in may also rest with another ipod model. If the dongle is plugged into another model (classic, video) and is able to record, the dongle may work for the touch as well (the dock connector is the same in all ipods). It would just become a matter of OS support for that audio-in.

I have the feeling that this is an assumption. I think, as stated above, that it does not lie in the pairing, but rather the dongle's ability to send audio in to the touch. I'm going to watch your videos as soon as they download to check out what you're saying. If you have another model ipod available, would you mind using that to pair and then testing on the touch? You should try this before purchasing the adapter for $25. I appreciate your tests and effort. Hopefully we can find some way to make this happen, but I fear it may involve some sort of hardware mod.

EDIT: Ok, now I've seen the video and all the equipment you have. What I'd like to see (maybe in another video? I don't want to ask too much of you) now is you trying what I've stated above with the sony bluetooth adapter (that has a dock connector on it right?). This is only if you have another ipod handy. In a step-by-step:

1. Plug the sony adapter into the older ipod (video or classic)
    2. Pair the headset with the mic (also the sony i believe?) to the sony dongle
    3. Once paired, plug the sony dongle into the touch
    4. Log in to sipvoip and do a trial call to see if, when you talk, the sound goes through.

This will test your hypothesis of the items needing to be paired beforehand. I highly doubt this will work, but its worth a try.
  6. Sparky1010

Sparky1010 New Member

I'll give it a go and post the video when I do it. Just going to state though, when I unplug the sony adapter from any ipod, i have about literally 3 seconds before the pairing gets "disabled" and either the logitech or sony headphones (which ever ones I'm using), tell me to reconnect.

Edit: Tomorrow, a friend of mine actually owns the adapter that is stated in the comment on touchmods comments (jabra 125s). I'm going to try and test that when I meet up with him. (the pairing with his adapter to the sony headphones before hand, then plugging the adapter in and making the test call.)
  7. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Would it be possible to try both and report the results? Thanks.
  8. Sparky1010

Sparky1010 New Member

1 person likes this.
  9. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OK. Thanks so much for doing these videos pretty much on demand.

The result is what I expected. I look forward to the adapter test, but I doubt it will work.

If the adapter doesnt work, looks like a hardware mod is needed to enable sound in, much like the ivoice.
    Before I get disappointed that I have to buy a mic that has no speaker and can only be used with the ipod for $50, I'll wait for the adapter test. As you can tell, I want a bluetooth headset rather than the mic because the headset is obviously more versatile, wireless, and you can use it when your ipod is away or in your pocket.

Again, thanks a bunch for doing these tests.

WAIT - before i post - on the touchmods comment, it says that the jabra adapter was used with a motorola ht-820. I dont know if the headset will be a factor, but hopefully it wont. Again, the ht-820 is like $120...plus if it works I dont wanna be restricted to one headset.

But, I'm kinda getting ahead of myself here (well, actually I'm getting ahead of you...). I'm glad we're able to get some clarification on the bluetooth topic.

EDIT: +1 rep

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Sparky1010

Sparky1010 New Member

Thanks man. I love working on this kind of stuff, I've always been a script kiddie, not one to be able to make my own things but make work arounds to pass the time till the actual product comes around. I'll get the video up when I make it tomorrow, A.S.A.P.