Bluetooth on 3.0 iPhone/iPod - YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by davers, Jul 28, 2009.

1. davers

davers New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't know about anybody else but I'm getting a little bit tired of seeing Bluetooth threads all over the forums, full of people all asking the same questions when they're too lazy to read the thread or simply search for the answer.

So I've copy-pasted my reply to one of the millions of Bluetooth threads here, and I will update this post as soon as I'm aware of any iBluetooth action. Like everybody else, I'm eager to get Bluetooth file transfer working on my iPod, but there's nothing we can do until a working/updated app is released.

If a mod wants to sticky this thread to provide lazy users with a quick answer to their queries instead of littering hundreds of other threads with questions that have been asked and answered a million times already, then please do.

Working devices listed in green, non-working devices in red.

---

Latest update: 31 July 2009 (added link to Bluetooth headset thread, thanks StaticFX)

Bluetooth is a new feature in 3.0 but the chip has always been there (for Nike+) - Apple simply didn't allow you to access it directly. Now you can, but only for connecting wireless headphones/headsets and playing supported games with others nearby - FILE TRANSFER IS STILL LOCKED.

Jailbroken 3.0 users do have options in terms of a workaround to unlock file transfer over Bluetooth, however:

iPhone 2G/3G users
    Use iBluetooth. There is a patched version of 1.0.8 which is reported to be fully working on jailbroken iPhones running firmware 3.0. Installation instructions here (you'll need to SSH it to the phone and install it via MobileTerminal).

iPod Touch 2G users
    iBluetooth doesn't work yet, and there's no alternative. Wait for the update, apparently we'll have a working version around the 'end of August'

iPhone 3GS users
    The 3GS uses a different chip from the previous iPhones, and the patched iBluetooth is not yet compatible. Once again, you will have to wait for a compatible update.

---

Note: You can follow the iBluetooth developer's updates directly here.

Note also: The updated iBluetooth is not going to be released faster because you really want it, or because you continually ask questions about it, or because you complain about the fact that it's taking a long time to be released. Just be patient, and check for updates regularly.
  2. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    dude thank you theres atleast five threads asking about this on the forum right now. But sadly this thread will forgotten and more new people will post more threads then someone will make a thread like this...(its a never ending cycle

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  3. freemini

freemini Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    thanks dude!!
  4. davers

davers New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If I knew who the mods were around here then I'd message them asking them to sticky this, for everybody's benefit - the people who actually read won't have to deal with a new Bluetooth thread every day, and the people who are too lazy to read will have a place where they can check the status whenever they wanted, without asking the same 3 questions over and over.

Until then let's just keep bumping the thread

What amazes me is that on a primarily text-based medium - i.e. not only the internet itself, but a messageboard - so few people are prepared to read. Instead, like small children, they just ask the same questions, over and over and over again, each expecting a concise, specific, tailor-made answer...
  5. fattail95

fattail95 New Member

great! should remove half the pointless threads made! to the top!!!
  6. eXozza

eXozza Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Mods please sticky, will be much easier to get updated on whats happening with the iBluetooth.
  7. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Thanks for your effort, buddy... And yeah, the mods REALLY should stick this thread to the top!

8. davers

davers New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  9. Skipper9T

Skipper9T Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Definitely Bumped.
    And I've messaged the Mod of this section,
    Thankyou
  10. StaticFX

StaticFX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You need to take this
    only for connecting wireless headphones/headsets

and make it red plus link it to the bluetooth headset sticky post....

only for connecting wireless headphones/headsets

[UR L="http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201711"][CO LOR="Red"]only for connecting wireless headphones/headsets[/ B][/CO LOR][/UR L]

(take the spaces out of the second one

)