Bluetooth Microphone!!! (Does it work? -- Theory)

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by BubleeShaark, Jul 11, 2009.

1. BubleeShaark

BubleeShaark Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Alright, here's my theory to get a bluetooth Microphone/headset to work on your iPod Touch.

So I recently ordered JayBird headphones... the JB-200m. The thing I want to look at is the "m".

The microphone part of your bluetooth devices doesn't work because the iPod Touch bluetooth software does not support it. However, you can plug in a mic into the iPod Touch headphone jack, and that works. So if it's capable of recieving voice through the headphone jack, then would a bluetooth adaptor, that plugs in through your headphone jack make your microphone work?

That's exactly what the "m" in the JB-200m stands for: a universal bluetooth adapter via a 3.5mm (typical) headphone jack.

I should get my new bluetooth headphones next Wednesday/Thursday in the mail. Until then, can anyone confirm/"bust" this theory?

(I sure hope this made sense).
  2. ipodsorocks2

ipodsorocks2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You my friend, are genius.
  3. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    im a little fuzzy on this. i get the main idea, plug an adapter into jack and bluetooth mic should work. but is it just any old bluetooth headset connecting to the adapter, or do you need to buy an adapter that comes with a headset?
  4. BubleeShaark

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    lol.. well we'll see if it actually works... but it should in theory.?

I don't know if any old bluetooth headset will work with the adapter. JayBird, the maker of the adapter.. and bluetooth headphones I'm getting, says that the adapter is made specifically for their bluetooth headphones. I don't know if they would work for others or not. Their headsets are A2DP if that means anything.

FYI: you can buy the adapter seperately for $50 from the link below. Also, they make an adapter for iPods only, but I personally prefer the headphone jack since it's more versitile.

Adapter's From JayBird
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    AGH! My order was backordered. I'll get back to everyone in a couple weeks.
  5. BubleeShaark

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Even though I see not many people are interested in this find, I'll post anyways!

I got the JB-200 headphones with the iPod Bluetooth Adapter, but I had no luck using the mic at all.

Then I read my manuals, and noticed that the bluetooth in the iPod Adapter is Bluetooth 1.2, A2DP. However, the bluetooth in the universal adapter is 2.0, A2DP, Handsfree, Headset. Yep, it sounds like that might just work. I am currently working on exchanging my iPod Adapter for the Universal Adapter. Wish me luck!

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. thesoundsmith

thesoundsmith New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Isn't the question what the Bluetooth version is in the Touch? That you can't exchange...

Keep us posted, I am very interested in this concept! Currently I am waiting for one of the iVoice III mics, so I can use the Wivi instrument with breath control (and to record music live as well) but I'd love to be able to turn this into a full-on net phone. And I MUST have a wireless headset for listening...
  7. thesoundsmith

thesoundsmith New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The iVoice III has been deliberately disabled by Apple on v3.0! I recorded one voice message, it worked fine. I ran Wivi, and the mic was recognised. Then I turned the iTouch off, and when I turned it on and plugged in the mic, I got a message, "Apple does not support this product," and it has not been recognized since.

So Apple is once again burning its customers for the sake of anal control. This is completely unacceptable behavior, and another example of why we MUST rein in control of the corporate decision-makers who have no responsibility to anyone but their major stockholders and their ridiculous bonuses...
  8. beatmac

beatmac New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have the Jaybird JB-200's with both the iPod and 3.5mm adapters.

the 3.5mm adapter is specifically designed to TRANSMIT AUDIO ONLY. A2DP doesnt even work with the adapter, so the microphone on the headphones will not work with this. Mainly because the iDevice sees the 3.5mm adapter the same way it sees the stock iBuds-audio only.

However i hear Apple is working in support for bluetooth mic's into software update 3.1...or 3.0.1 whatever it's gonna be.
  9. vsangel87

vsangel87 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    what if...

hey...what if my headphone jack is broken? i have a pair of panasonic bluetooth headphones with the built-in mic and everytime i try to use it with skype, it doesn't recognize my voice. i'm not sure what's wrong. any of u know?
  10. st6000

st6000 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Don't forget bluetooth controls...

I am not sure what these "generic" audio only bluetooth adapters offer. But I doubt they offer volume +/-, skip +/-, pause & play. Many of these "Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)" head sets also have Headset (HSP), Hands-Free (HFP) and Audio/Video Remote Control (AVRCP) features. Keep that in mind when thinking about these "generic" audio adaptors.

It is not to say it is impossible that these bluetooth adapter can remotely control your ipod, it is just unlikely. Apple does all sorts of things that go a bit beyond normal interface definitions. Example: iTouch may not recharge in a regular (older) iPod docking station. I believe they need some unusual initial voltages on the USB data lines before they start sucking down the current. Not only that, they now use the USB 5 volt line. Not the FireWire 12 volt line. (Hint: If all you have are older iPods, keep an eye out for price cuts on older iPod appliances. But keep in mind this limitation!)

---

FYI, I just tried to bluetooth sync a LuckyGoldStar (aka LG) set of headphones to my iTouch. (All the control features and the microphone of this LG headphones work great with a Sony cell phone. I can listen to music stored on the cell phone as well as answer calls.) None, and I mean none, of the LG's controls or microphone work with my Apple iTouch.

- I tried volume, skip, pause and play while listening to music on my Apple iTouch and none of the LG's bluetooth headphone controls worked.

- I tried skyping with my Apple iTouch using my LG bluetooth headphones and was told by the skyping application that I did not have a microphone.

Just to make sure, I tested skype again using a corded belkin (I believe) microphone and the original iTouch head phones. It recorded and played back my voice perfectly using the skype test call feature.

So, it appears the Apple iTouch (think I have a 2G) running 3.0 firmware DOES NOT supports anything beyond transmitting audio stereo from the iTouch to the bluetooth headphones.

Bummer.
    ---

All is not lost though. There is still the possibility that an iTouch will abide by the iPod serial port standard for remote control. If I get around to testing that, I'll post again. Or, if someone has already tried this (i.e. used something like a Sony bluetooth headset with an adaptor for an older iPod that plugs into ONLY the 30 ping connector and NOT the audio jack) please post!

...later
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    That my be the way your 3.5mm adapter works but may not be true for all such adapters. I just posted a comment that Apple extends common interface definitions to suit their needs. The iTouch audio jack on my iTouch (2G??) does support a microphone. In fact, the microphone adaptor I use also has a button that can be used to pause/play music. It could probably be used to answer calls if this were an iPhone.

Where as the ear buds that came with the iTouch has tip, ring and sleeve, the adaptor (with a microphone and button which I plug my ear buds into) has tip, ring, ring and sleeve.

For all I know, Apple may have built a whole set of control features into the audio jack. Remember old VCR 2 wire remote controls? Of course not. But it gives you an idea of how old this method of control is. Say the microphone usually has about a 100K ohm resistance. But if you shorted out the connection you could interpret that as a pause play command. And if you put a 100 ohm resistor across those lines you could interpret that as a volume up. Other resistor values could be used for other commands.

I am not absolutely sure, but I think A2DP only covers stereo audio transmission. I think features like the microphone are covered under the Headset (HSP), Hands-Free (HFP) and Audio/Video Remote Control (AVRCP) profiles.