Bluetooth internet connection.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ibizaGTi, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hi guys, wonder if anyone can help me out with an idea I had on the bus into university earlier today...

I was sat there, listening to music, when I remembered something I needed to look up on the net. Unfortunately (as i was on a bus) i had no wifi connection on my iPod, so had to use my mobile with its tiny screen and crappy controls. Then i thought..."why can I connect my phone to my iPod via bluetooth, and use my mobile as a wireless modem?"
    I have unlimited web on my phone anyway, so it wouldn't cost me anything, and I know I can use my phone as a bluetooth modem for my netbook.

I had a look around, but it seems that there is no "app for that" on the appstore, or even Cydia (or at least none that i can find).

I think that this would be a really cool and VERY functional method for connecting the iPod to the net on the go.

So, anyone have an idea how I could accomplish this?
  2. kamimel

kamimel New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    im pretty sure people do that
  3. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Does your phone have WiFi connectivity?
  4. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No, my phone has 3g internet though if thats going to be ok?

I am thinking for times when wifi is not available, like when travelling.

I always carry my phone with me, and this would remove one of the major limitations of the touch: No mobile internet access.

Thanks for the replies!
  5. acculabs

acculabs New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have and HTC touch Diamond on Verizon and have been trying to find a way to do this as well. I have no problem tethering my computer to my phone but can not get the phone and ipod touch to make a connection to each other via blue tooth.

I would really like to find a way to do this as I refuse to go to ATT to get the iphone.
  6. TEG

TEG New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Excellent question ibizaGTI!!
    I was wondering exactly the same... My cellphone is paid by my work so surf the web with my iPt thru the mobile would be great!
  7. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    phone to ipod touch tethering via bluetooth isn't possible as of yet - the iBlueNova (iBluetooth v2.0) Bluetooth stack and Daemon will support the DUN protocal in the future (not in the initial release though) so this tethering will be possible.

but at the moment many people are waiting for this (me too =D) and yeah cross your fingers and watch how iBluenova develops

Please Register or Log in to view images

(http://medevil.net)
  8. MR_Creative59

MR_Creative59 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    w8ing too

but when will they release that ?
  9. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    no one knows a release date for DUN support - ibluenova initial release will be in a week or two i think

Please Register or Log in to view images

but as said before: it doesn't include DUN...wait - someday it WILL be there because it is possible using the hardware avail.
  10. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Thanks, thats the exact info I needed! Hopefully the DUN support will come soon, and will make a lot of iPod users VERY happy. I'll keep and eye on that link, looks like the site is down for maintenence at the moment though.

thanks again!