Bluetooth idea

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by notthecheatr, Jul 1, 2009.

1. notthecheatr

notthecheatr New Member

Hi, my name is James and this is my first post on these forums. Sorry if it's a long one, but it's something I'm interested in and I suspect I'm not the only one.

I've been using iPod Touches for some months now (I can't get AT&T in my area, so I don't have an iPhone, but I bought a Touch 2G 16 GB, then I won a Touch 2G 32 GB in a competition, so I have used those a lot). I was very excited when OS 3.0 came out, and even more excited to find out about the Bluetooth capabilities.

I was fairly dissappointed yesterday to discover that headsets can't be used (with microphone). I have a couple of ideas of getting around this, and I just wanted to know if anyone has explored these ideas, or if they are available.

1. Jailbroken software. I'm a bit nervous about Jailbreaking still, so I only used redsn0w on my 16 GB iPod since I use the 32 GB one for most things. I only did this recently, so I haven't done too much with it yet, but I'm very excited about the possibilities of jailbroken software. Is there a way to, and/or has anyone yet tried to, implement code for the HSP and HFP Bluetooth profiles? Or are those too low level for programmers to access?

2. A neat but hackish hardware solution. We all know you can get a microphone and controls on the wired headphones. So what's to stop someone from creating a special external bluetooth module that plugs into both the headphone jack and the USB port? It would get power from the USB port, and the microphone and controls and audio would go from the headphones jack to the bluetooth module to the bluetooth headset, and thus one would be able to use the microphone and audio controls on the bluetooth headset (which is impossible using the internal bluetooth on the iPod, at least unless/until they give us a software update where that can be done).

As far as I can tell nothing like this is available commercially, at least not yet (I hope someone thinks of it and builds it soon) and I have yet to see if anyone has thought of it as a DIY project. I don't have much experience with electronics, but I imagine it wouldn't be hard to do if you know what you're doing.

Anyways, those are my ideas. Comments/feedback/more information would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Welcome to the forums! And don't be afraid of long posts, to me they equal detail or are completely off topic (assuming they are words and not pics). Anyways, you have some good ideas.

First off, it's really hard to brick a device. Like, you practically have to be trying. I've probably jailbroken over 50 times since 1.1.2 and never had a problem that couldn't be fixed.

K, not that that's outta the way,

1) I don't think there is currently a jailbroken app that effects the compatibility of a bluetooth mic, as you said it could be too low level, just like the 2G has had bluetooth compatibility all along, but it was just inaccessible to this point. I'm no dev though.

2) Sounds more plausible. I'd write more except the only supporting evidence I have is what I'm drawing out of my mind, and that's not very reliable.
  3. notthecheatr

notthecheatr New Member