Blackra1n the preferred option for jailbreaking 2G for all firmware versions?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ColKurtz, Dec 11, 2009.

1. ColKurtz

ColKurtz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi. I'm getting an refurb 2G iPod Touch today. I'll only have 3 days to get it set up and jailbroken for my brother, so trying to get a handle on the correct procedure.

I originally got a new 8GB 3G touch, before I knew that the CPU improvements are not in the 8GB version, and before I knew that the 3G was tethered only. This is for my brother who is getting redeployed for iraq for a year, and he won't have a PC with iTunes to reset a tethered setup. I tested blackra1n on the 3G device before I took it back and it's so easy I don't want to bother looking into other metods if there isn't any compelling reason.

So I got a refurb 2G, and assume it will come with a 3.0+ firmware. I've read about redsn0w and backleveling... is blackra1n recommended for all 3.0+ fimrware, or do I need to read up on alternative methods?

Thanks for any info!
  2. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    blackra1n jailbreaks 3.1+
  3. ColKurtz

ColKurtz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for the reply. If it comes as 3.0, is there any reason NOT to update it to 3.1+ and then use blackra1n?

edit -it just arrived, and it actually has FW version 2.2.1. I haven't read about any issues with the 3.1 firmware - except that you can't backlevel from 3.12 - and it seems there are lots of apps that require FW versions 3+. So again just looking if there are any reasons NOT to upgrade to 3.12 and use blackra1n that I haven't read about?

Thanks again.