blackra1n tethered reboot questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cryophil, Dec 1, 2009.

1. cryophil

cryophil New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If you'd all be so kind to help, much appreciated.

With an ipt3g 32/64gb and blackra1n RC3:

{Do you have to tether it every time you wake it from sleep or only on hard reset/reboot (holding down the top button)?}
    NOTE: I read further and believe that when it says reboot, it does indeed mean the power-down completely and restart. If it doesn't mean that, and includes tethering from waking after sleeping, please let me know.

I'd still like to know about the other two:

• What happens if you are on the road and don't have a mac/PC to use and the ipt reboots due to a lame cydia app? Can you at least reboot to normal apple ipod mode without jailbreak/cydia/3rd party apps?

• Is there a dongle solution for tethering w/o a mac/PC?

I'm obviously asking before I buy and then jailbreak, as I am comparing all device/configuration options.

Thanks!
  2. jetf

jetf New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah you're right. You do not have to jailbreak again after waking it from sleep mode.

No, you cannot boot into "normal" mode (which is called semi-tethered).

I don't think so...
  3. cryophil

cryophil New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks, Jetf. I think I would wait to jailbreak, then, until greenpo1son is out.
  4. jetf

jetf New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Just jailbreak it! Tethered is not that bad
  5. Yaujta

Yaujta New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    cryophil i received mine yesterday i have received mine and jail broke it is so easy to do with little risk it can all be undone with a reset the tethered mode just means if you switch the device off by holding down the power button when you switch it back on you need to reconnect it and make it ra1n. i suggest just carrying a usb charger and usb plug adapter with you so if power running low connect it up for a wee while till have enough juice till you get home
  6. jetf

jetf New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah, why would you wait for an untethered jailbreak which is not going to be released in the next 4 months?
  7. cryophil

cryophil New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    thanks Jetf & Yaujta.

I guess, I consider waiting because I spend too much time away (traveling) from computers and don't want to temporarily brick my ipod on a trip.

That, plus, I am unsure of any jailbreak apps that are absolutely needed. (Except perhaps VLC for xvid vids.

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

What apps do most of you find indispensable, that are not available from Apple in any form at all?

---
    Edit:
    Also, wondering, if I jailbreak, going back by restoring...what do I need to back up to restore? All music, videos, apps, etc? Or just apps and settings?
    (that is, will a restore wipe my music?)

background:
    I'm comparing the ipt to a windows mobile 6.5 device. So far the ipod wins hands down. I've been on WM for 8 years now, and am happy to switch. Just don't like the closed apple mentality, and am glad jailbreak is an option.
  8. jetf

jetf New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The best apps which you can get if you jailbreak your iPod are (i think): SBSettings (for managing memory, WiFi, etc) and winterboard (so you can change the appearance).

Well a restore will wipe all music off your iPod. But that music is probably already on your pc right? So it should not be a problem
  9. Loadedfinger

Loadedfinger New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  10. MiPad

MiPad New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch