iOS 3.1 Blackra1n on the iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by d00m42, Oct 11, 2009.

1. d00m42

d00m42 Member

I've heard mixed results with using Blackra1n on an iPhone 3GS. I have a black 32GB 3GS that originally had 3.0 OTB but I have updated it to 3.1 (and will update it to 3.1.2 soon, I use AT&T so idc about unlock).

I know the entire thing is just plug in phone and click "Make it Ra1n", but I had a few questions before I go ahead:

1. I normally sync this phone with my my Mac partition (I use a dual boot hackintosh with SL/XP on it), so can I just plug in my phone in Windows, and update through iTunes to 3.1.2 and then use Blackra1n? (or do I have to boot into Mac to update to 3.1.2 first and THEN boot into Windows and use Blackra1n?)

2. If the jailbreak fails, what's the most likely result? I am doing something in Windows right now that makes it so I don't want to restart my computer for a while, and all my sync stuff is on the Mac side. I really don't want to have to restore, so I'm wondering if a jailbreak failure means restore for Blackra1n.

It's been a while since I've been active here, I think I might start up again soon (after I finish applying to college...so much damn work!)
  2. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    You can jailbreak in any OS on any computer, you don't need to sync afterward. Your best bet would be log in on your Windows partition, jailbreak, un-plug your iPhone and re-boot into SL if you wish, if that's where your musics at and update.

And you can update on either or side, but I think after you update you need to re-sync all your items...
  3. d00m42

d00m42 Member

You can't JB and THEN update, otherwise you will lose the JB...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Anyone have an idea if I can update to 3.1.2 from 3.1 in Windows XP even though I sync with my Mac? And then can I JB with Blackra1n on Windows after upgrading to 3.1.2 without losing any data?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Anyone !?!??!