Review Black Shades

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by iPod Touch™, Jul 10, 2009.

1. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Black Shades
    Review By MR Team (Daniel)

The first time I heard about Black Shades was when I was browsing the app store one morning. Immediately I said to myself, "Bad Graphic", however after reading the story line it got me interested, and when I get interested, I just have to try.

Black Shades has one of the most simple story lines I have ever heard of for a shooter type game, but this game will surely grab your attention before you play. Basically, you are a Body guard for a VIP agent that is wanted by assassins. Your mission is to protect your VIP, who is easy to see because he is the only one in a white shirt. The assassins have an arsenal of 7 different weapons ranging from a basic pistol, auto and semi-auto machine guns to grenades. The setting is a city street that has nothing on it but square and rectangular buildings with no detail what so ever. Well that app was only a measly 3.7MB, so what else is there to expect? Interested yet? Well hold on because where just getting started.

Category: Games
    Released: February 25, 2009
    Version: 1.0
    Size: 3.7MB
    Developer: Wolfire games, LLC
    iTunes Link: Download Now!
    Price: 0.99

This is the first thing you will see as the game loads up, this is where I had my doubts if this was even worth 0.99, the graphics look like a Gameboy Color. But at least the main menu looked a little bit more promising. I mean you can't blame me, the legs aren't even attached to my players body correctly.

The Main Menu

This is where I got a little encouraged that maybe this app wouldn't be that bad. You have your basic options of Resume game, how to play, options and re center tilt. It also had the high score that I had, which is terrible. The only noteworthy option was, "How to Play", because it explained (some what) how to play the game, very very basically.

This is the most confusing screen at first, basically it means that the guy in the white is the guy your protecting, and when you see a white line attached to him, that is an assassin that is after him that you have to kill.

The next two image explain how to control your character, which is harder than you would think. It gave me a lot of trouble, the best way is to hold your iDevice's back as if it was facing a wall, straight in front of you, that is for best results.

The final tutorial images show you all about how to handle your weapons. I'm not going to explain it the pictures will.

&

That is the end of the tutorial of how to play, hope I didn't bore you to much, but if I didn't show and explain trust me, you would have been lost by now.

GamePlay​

When I first started to play the game was a lot of things, let me name a few. Hard. Frustrating. Annoying. But once I played for about 15 minutes I got the hang of it and it was really fun. This game really isn't about how real the game looks, its about having a good time, no matter what! The gun shot sounds were surprisingly realistic, more so than the other game sounds that you will encounter as you move on.

I surprisingly know that this is a game that I am going to keep on my iPod for sure. I only have a 16GB and space is tough, but this game is a keeper. If you are looking for a real combat, high graphics console-type game then this is most certaintly not for you. I did not think I was going to like this game but its actually pretty fun!

>>>>>>Presentation<<<<<<

Poor. Period. this game looks so bad a Sega genesis or Game Boy Color would look better. The menus are sloppy, and the colors are dark and dirty. If the whole, "Presentation thing", is all you then don't even check this game out at all. It is like worst than the beta version of Halo4iPhone, and that was bad. Yes, I can compare it to Halo4iPhone because most people know what that is by now, and it was the worst attempt at Halo on the iPod that was ever made. No offense to the developers. Now that I think about it, never mind Halo4iPhone was just a mod and wasn't even its own platform. Bottom line here, presentation is a 1/5 here if that.

Rating System

Presentation & Graphics: 2/10 - Disgusting, it is just so sloppy not even 2/10
    Audio: 9/10 - Gun sounds were surprisingly very realistic!
    GamePlay/Control: 3/10 - Rubbish, very to control, bad steering
    Replay Value: 9/10 - I know this doesn't make much sense, but this game is worth playing again.
    Value for Money: 4/10 - games like Dino Smash are I believe 0.99 more and they have so much to offer, beats this any day, and even apps the same price win against this hands down.

~Conclusion~

If you are the casual gamer, and just want fun, this might be for you, probably not however, if you like exciting, adrenaline-rushed games then stop reading this and go on to another game. Personally, I don't think it was that bad, but thats just me.

5.4: Average​

-This app would have done better if its controls were usable, and if the graphics weren't so bad. This game had potential, I'll give it that.

Attached Files:

2. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I've tried this app too, and while the gameplay is pretty nice, the controls kill it. The graphics didn't bug me too much though, there's a certain retro charm to them. In any case, very well written review
  3. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thank you so much, appreciate it.

Glad my first Team review went well.
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Are you using the MR Team Scoring System? Your score should be 5.4 if you didn't use reviewers license.... I have corrected your score and removed the star rating which isn't applicable... Please review the MR Team Scoring System thread in the Member Reviewer lounge. Thanks

edit/ you may also have wanted to use the 'Reviewers License' system here, which rewards innovative apps and this 3D physics shooter sounds ambitious!
  5. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just so people are aware, there's a PC and Mac version available for download on the developer's website.

The graphics are slightly improved, with a much better control system.
  6. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    the game looks good, but 5.4 is... eh.
  7. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I Must have not used the Scoring system correctly, I did look at it for a while before scoring though, won't happen again.

8. reaper00004

reaper00004 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Whoa, I remember this game for the pc.
  9. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yep, a classic.
  10. iPodTouchTapp

iPodTouchTapp New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    wow nice review didn't notice it was your first team review..