black screen on ipod classic

Discussion in 'iPod classic, nano, etc.' started by Terry1982, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Terry1982

Terry1982 New Member

about 8 months ago my ipod classic just stopped working screen blank 3 laptops and 2 different cables and it isn't recognised by itunes or the comp's as if it's not plugged in itunes was upto date also, anyway i had given up on it and given it to my 3 year old as a toy, last night he brought it to me saying the screen has come on it had was telling me to connect to a power source so i plugged it in, once there was enough charge it went to the set up screen as if it was being turned on for the first time as soon as i went select an option off it went again blank screen and is not recognised by my laptop or itunes but my partners nano works as it should itunes and comp find it. any help at all would be very greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance
  2. Deathunter

Deathunter Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Have you tried keeping it to fully charge-up?!
  3. Terry1982

Terry1982 New Member

yeah left it on charge over night over night had full power when i tried to turn it on then it just went off again and nothing since like i say my comp and other docking stations won't find it either but will find my nano i had given up on it until the brief sign of life the other day
  4. Deathunter

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Then it might be that the battery is damaged and doesn't really store any energy, still, it could be a software problem, but unfortunately if it is a software problem then you will have to "restore" which is not an option you have considering you can't even turn it on.

Question:-
    Do you remember what exactly were you doing with it when it went blank for the first?!
  5. Terry1982

Terry1982 New Member

It was plugged into my car via usb went on and off intermittent on the way home one day then next day nothing
  6. Deathunter

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That means that it is most likely the battery is damaged.
  7. Terry1982

Terry1982 New Member

would this stop devices finding it does it always run from the battery does it not use another source when plugged in?
  8. Deathunter

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Unfortunately, if the battery is damaged, then plugging the ipod to a power source is useless, as the power only charge the battery, and it is the battery that feeds the device. Sure there are some electronics that can work either with a battery or a direct power source, but sadly ipod classic is not one of them.
  9. Terry1982

Terry1982 New Member

Thanks for your help just ordered a new battery should be here in a couple of days i'll let you know how it goes
  10. Deathunter

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You are welcome ;) and I hope that it will work fine after replacing the battery :)