Black cover art for most albums.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ASiDiE, Sep 29, 2008.

1. ASiDiE

ASiDiE Member

I would like to touch on this again. I have a 2.1 JB 1st Gen 16GB Ipod Touch. After I upgraded to 2.1, it seems that half of my album art is black when you look at it in cover flow. Also when you are playing the album, it's black. When you click on song list, it shows the really small album cover in the top right. It seems like many people are getting this, but there is no answer for this.

I have removed ALL of my music and put it back on there. I add all my music by hand and then attach the cover art by hand.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this at all? I even see some posts over at the apple forums, but nobody seems to have a fix or answer for this.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks.
  2. atomicmufin

atomicmufin Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    coverflow takes a while to load ALL the covers.
    if you let it sit for a few seconds it'll load them.
  3. Firespray

Firespray Banned

Have the same problem too, in Coverflow I see duplicates of albums but when I highlight that album, the art changes to black or to it's actual art. Another one is the album art will appear when playing a song but in the upper corner the album art is something else.
  4. ASiDiE

ASiDiE Member

So I kind of figured out what is happening here. I decided to delete all my music and use the Music Library for testing. I usually just copy over my MP3's right to the ipod in itunes. I then also find and copy over all my own cover art. I listen to a lot of rare metal, so most of the time, itunes doesn't have the covers anyway.

So I copied my music into the Library and copied over the cover art and then sync'ed it up. Every single album displayed just fine. I then decided to copy over one album right to the ipod and then imported the coverart. I then went into the coverflow on the ipod and almost every album was messed up somehow. Most of them wouldn't even show up at all and were just black. Some you could see as you went across, but when you got right on the Album, they were black.

I also tested this from a totally restored (non-jb) 2.1 version of the firmware downloaded straight from itunes. Same thing.

So it looks like coping you own music straight to the Ipod, 95% of the time messes up the cover art. I am hoping this will be fixed in the next release.
  5. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i just had this exact problem. i'm on JB 1.1.2. It happened since i downloaded iTunes 8.x.

the only solution i had was to erase the offending albums and re-rip and re-cover art. seems a bit extreme, but i couldn't solve it any other way.

and it wasn't just new albums i'd copied since the new itunes, but a few older existing albums changed black too. most confusing.