Bit the bullet

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xanafeyed, May 18, 2008.

1. xanafeyed

xanafeyed New Member

Well after much deliberating and review reading and video watching I finally bought my first iPod touch. I ebay'd a new in box 16 gb for $340 shipped. It is the newest version that has the latest big update on it (the one that cost $20). good deal? I just have a few general questions

1. I have AWFUL luck with mp3 players. I have owned around 9. A couple i got bored with, a couple jsut stopped working, one got stolen, and my favorite one (and my cell phone for that matter suffered an internal screen crack while they were in my pocket. What is the easy way to prevent this with the touch? This thing is like one giant screen so it worries me extra. What is the best completely protective case that is still practical.

2. I plan to use this to load on some DL'd tv shows and movies and then hook it into my tv to watch the videos on my tv. What is the best method to go about doing this? does the touch use a headphone jack plug that turns into composite cables like the other media players?

3. Does the tv out display everything on the tv? internet videos, etc.

4. I was a little salty about the touch not having the external speaker that the iphone has. What is the best accessory for some decent portable sound.

5. What is the best firmware to have on and what does mine originally come with? Im guessing the 1.0.0.3. Is it worth it to upgrade to 1.0.0.4? I definitely plan to jailbreak it.

6. Anything else you would recommend for somewhat of an ipod noob? Had a super old school one a while back but that one dies on me.

Ill probably add some more questions as I think of them. Thanks much.
  2. dualcorex

dualcorex New Member

i would have waited for june 9th. wwcd.
  3. hovik818

hovik818 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Yeah why buy an iPod now, just wait and when SDK comes out, you wont have to pay for the update.
  4. mclaurin10

mclaurin10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Ok so,
    Probibly a good idea to get a case, I use the belkin leather folio and it comes with a screen protector so two birds with one stone.
    The easiest method of Jailbreaking is beeing on Firmware 1.1.4, (no 0's) and then downloading ZiPhone form ziphone.org and then just hitting the jailbreak button...Done!
    There are accessoreis that are external speakers but I dont like them because they usually art sturdy.
  5. Firespray

Firespray Banned

1) There's various screen protectors for the actual screen to avoid scratches even though it's pretty damn hard to scratch the screen. I've seen cases that have flip down to cover the whole iPod almost like a wallet. There's also hard cases and rubber cases, many different choices to choose from.

2) The iPod only accepts videos in .MP4 format, there's different converters you can download for free that will convert your videos into MP4s. I personally use SUPER to convert downloaded TV shows or media and another program called Handbrake for ripping and converting DVDs. Both programs are free.

3) Not really sure about this one.

4) Not really sure either but I've seen a few different portable speakers that plug into the headphone jack online and at stores.

5) There's really no good firmware, 1.1.4 is the most recent firmware which is probably the firmware your Touch came with. It's fairly easy to jailbreak all the firmwares, personally I've used a program called WinPwn to jailbreak my 1.1.4 firmware, look in the WinPwn and Pwnage sections on the forums to read up on that if you'd like.
  6. xanafeyed

xanafeyed New Member

Ok thank you that is very helpful. Why should I have waited for the sdk to come out on june 9th? I still payed $60 below sticker price.
  7. Firespray

Firespray Banned

Well some people say that you should wait for it because Apple is probably going to charge iPod Touch users a small fee to enable some of the new 2.0 Firmware features like they did with the January Update, if you were to wait for the firmware to be released, it would have been possible to buy a brand new Touch with the 2.0 firmware already preloaded on it.
  8. xanafeyed

xanafeyed New Member

Alright I'm lookin at this one
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?&Product_Id=388479&subid=388502
    Two questions. What kind of screen protector is it? does it stick to the screen or is it part of the leather case? I have heard that the screen protectors can make the screen much less sensitive to touching and more difficult to do things. Also, is the outer leather flap very durable? I will be having this in my pocket at work where it is very possible that something may hit my pocket with some decent force. If I get an internal crack on this screen im gonna be a very sad panda.
  9. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    1) I don't believe that is true, it does accept other formats I think. Anyhow, there are many free video to iPod format converters out there, Mac or PC.

2) I have seen those as well, they plug into your iPod dock connector and are about 1/2 the size of an Altoids tin. Don't forget that with full volume and headphones, you'll be able to hear the Music pretty well without speakers.
  10. Monkey Jam

Monkey Jam New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    To answer the Tv out question, you can only use an Apple Universal dock or Apple cable to connect tv and only Downloaded videos and album art appears on the tv. So expensive.