bit of advice plz

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bajami, Nov 22, 2009.

1. bajami

bajami New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    earlier this year i did a jailbreak on 2 of my sons ipod touch's (2g) one of my son cant get facebook (safari wont load it neither) as he needs to upgrade from version 2.2.1 from what i gather when its updated to a higher version he will lose things such as jailbreak and installed apps etc.. i have read about removing apps from the categories before an update and the apps will be saved is this true
    i'm not to bothered about it not being jailbroke as it can be done again (i think) can anyone shed some light on this plz on what he will lose etc or if backing up will save apps

many thanks to u all
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Well, he will lose everything, it'll be a clean restore. His music, videos, AppStore apps should be on the computer so losing those isn't an issue. He will lose his game saves, jailbroken apps. And yes, if he upgrades to 3.0+, he will be able to jailbreak again.
  3. taptaptouch

taptaptouch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i dont really get what your saying but if you have apps just sync them with itunes and they will be there after you upgrade to 3 and then just sync them back over
  4. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If you update it and not restore it he won't lose any game or gamesaves.
  5. bajami

bajami New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    wow how quick were those replies chrisl and taptaptouch many thanks i think i understand now
    basically all the apps he had etc which were not via apple he will lose but all apples apps should be synced with itunes and can be restored back to ipod after the update
  6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Hmm, yea I think you're right. I was thinking that when you install a major update (so, going from 1.x.x to 2.x.x or 2.x.x to 3.x.x) you will need to restore. But now thinking back when I updated my sister's iPod, it didn't. So yea, I was wrong

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    Just to clarify a bit after SmexyPenguin18 corrected me, he will not lose his game saves or apps from the AppStore, but jailbroken apps will still be gone since the jailbreak will be gone.
  7. taptaptouch

taptaptouch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    anytime

8. bajami

bajami New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    cheers for that i never noticed smexypenguin18's comment til after i posted

so is it best not to restore after update? also when i did the jailbreak i used redsnow and qckpwn do i still use them or is there something different/better to use i also followed a tutorial on youtube is there still an easy/dummy tutorial to use

thanks once again
  9. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I think it's best to restore, so it's like a fresh start. But if your son wants to keep his game saves, then don't. Anyways after upgrading to 3.1.2, you will use blackra1n (www.blackra1n.com) to jailbreak. It's simple, no tutorial is needed. Just run it and click the button and it's done.
  10. bajami

bajami New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    many thanks chrisl you have put my mind at ease

if i get stuck i'l come back for help again much appreciated