Bit of a noobie-ish question about 2g Touch jailbreak

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by namethatscleverandironic, Feb 10, 2009.

1. namethatscleverandironic

namethatscleverandironic New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi! I've been looking around this forum for the past few days as I'm expecting a 2g iPod Touch in the mail. This seems like a forum full of nice people so I hope that you all won't mind if these questions seem a bit too basic and simple.

I'm a little confused because I'm reading mostly that the second generation iPod Touch cannot be jailbroken so far, outside of a complicated method that's still tethered. But then I see a couple of videos on YouTube that walk you through how to jailbreak the 2G and there are plenty of comments saying it's worked and all of that. Here's one such example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix5gEKly6fQ

So am I confusing something/anything with something else? Will I be able to jailbreak my second generation iPod Touch when it arrives in the next few days or no?
    Thank you if anyone is able to clear this up for me!
  2. espeorb

espeorb New Member

Good sir, I tried that video, that EXACT video, before I knew about the tethered jailbreak. The quickpwn program it shows me stop halfway through after loading for a while and BLAM, I have viruses. Also I find it funny that almost every one of those people who commented saying it works don't have any or many videos, and havent been on youtube very long. I smell something fishy, eh?

But srsly, tethered jailbreaking isn't that hard if you know how to use DOS. Just follow jfb392's tutorial.
  3. namethatscleverandironic

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you for the quick reply! I thought that the youtube comments could be planted as well, but I thought that they couldn't *all* be, and there must be someone shouting about its fakeness or viruses or some such. But then, here you are.
    *But after searching for just a moment, it seems that there are some multiple sources for quickpwn that are safer than others (like the dev team website?), so I'm still a little baffled.

I think I did see the instructions on the tethered jailbreak and it didn't seem as if it would be too over my head. But I also need to wait until I have my iPod Touch to fully understand what the limitations of it being "tethered" fully implies -- like how often I really need to turn my iPod "off" (and disable the jailbreak, as I understand) and all of that.

I'm also not fond of the idea of hacking around too much on my iPod so soon after I get it. So that's why I'm trying to fully understand most of this before I try anything.
    Thanks for your help! But if it's just a matter of the quickpwn file you downloaded having viruses, then I'd still be willing to try the youtube given technique with a file downloaded from the official website.
  4. masoco

masoco New Member

There are step by step tutorials here : http://www.ifans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=172

There are also some programs that claim to automate a lot of the jailbreak for you, but I never tried them.

You have time before your iPod gets there, so start reading.
  5. biikmans

biikmans Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I used this guide myself, http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142618 and while I have had the touch for a few months, I never played with or looked into jailbreaking until last night..a complete noob in that regard. I must say it went pretty smoothly. I do like the additional options, especailly getting rid of icons for apps I will never use like stocks, default weather, notes etc... but I am not so sure about adding and installing themes, as I am not sure what if any effect this will have on battery life. Good luck, when you eventually give it a go.
  6. namethatscleverandironic

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you all for the replies! The thread that biikmans linked to looks so much simpler than the instructions I saw the other day. Thanks very much.

I may try it the RedTool way. I'm just not entirely sure yet what happens or might be lost (or temporarily lost) when the iPod is shut off and the jailbreak needs to be done again.
  7. thecell_2007

thecell_2007 New Member

hey there, i was just reading through and i noticed this post. i too am fairly new to my ipod touch. i have been toying with my psp for years however, and have "bricked" it many times. it is easily reperable and i was wondering... if i try one of these tethered jailbreaks, can i repair my ipod if i mangle the process somehow?
  8. discuit

discuit Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yes. It's impossible to fully brick an ipod touch (iphone is a different story).
    The golden rule is you should learn how to get into DFU mode in an emergency.
    And don't panic. There's always a way to DFU.

(and btw, DFU has a totally black screen, don't be scared)
  9. firefoxuser

firefoxuser New Member

and you can only brick any ipod touch if your really stupid or you want to brick it. otherwise dont worry. follow the instructions and you ''ll be fine

btw @discuit
    how do you brick your iphone?
  10. andisito123

andisito123 New Member

best thing to use is clywood it works the best dont look at any videos because they can throw u off and make it more diffficult
    just use CLYWOOD and just follow along
    I used it it works