BIOS Revision?

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by d00m42, Feb 22, 2008.

1. d00m42

d00m42 Member

I have an Asus P5W-DH Deluxe, and my current BIOS revision is 1305. I was wondering if the reason I cannot boot a Leopard DVD is because my BIOS is relatively old compared to the current revision 2602. Is it worth the risk to flash it? I haven't ever flashed a BIOS before so I don't have any idea how yet, but I want to know if there is any need to because I hear it can be a risky procedure.

Thanks in advance for your input!
  2. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    just download from your maufactures site
    and it could roast your system but its fairly simple
    just let the program run
    unplug everything from your computer except the essentials
    close all programs
    then reboot
    and are you using a laptop?
    if so, the leopard disks have some issues with laptop hardware
    and it could also be an issue if you have an SATA harddrive
  3. d00m42

d00m42 Member

no this is my custom built desktop, i actually tried to install it on a vaio laptop and it failed miserably lol. however, i do have 2 sata hard drives, but previously i installed leopard onto an external USB drive using my bro's comp, then i booted it on mine and it worked with the boot flag TOHKERNEL even though i installed the vanilla kernel using kalyway's 10.5.1 cd. the only issue is that my wifi card does not work, and that i would like to be able to install it on my internal sata drive without having to take it out of my computer.

EDIT: do any of you other people update your bios when it is very out of date? i mean from revision 1305 to revision 2602 sounds like it might be worth it but i am not sure...
  4. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

I've updated the BIOS on a few desktops before, it's worth it and not hard at all.
  5. coffee27

coffee27 New Member

Strange.

I have the same motherboard and just updated to the 2602 rom a couple hours ago.

The P5W DH Bios has a built-in utility to flash a rom image. Just put the rom on a floppy and boot into setup.

I don't have a 3 1/2 drive so I used the Asus update utility while running XP. (Need to use the new Update Util.)

Didn't have any problems.
  6. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    BIOS flashing shouldnt be aproblem and you should update it.
    also what is the exact problem your having in the installation