Big boss tool query

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Andymans, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Andymans

Andymans New Member

The bigboss tool app lets you move your apps and games to the larger area of your ipod memory so allowing you to free up space in the smaller section where the apps are installed in the first place. Great, but when you have done this and you add more apps and games and then go into bigboss tool to move the new ones over to the large memory area I cannot do this, it just says all apps are moved and wont let me access it to move the new apps. The small memory area is also getting lower too so obviously this will eventually pose a problem if they are not moved. Does the bigboss tool not let you move things more than once or does it move them automatically after the first initial move. Or is there some other explanation. Cheers Andy
  2. Kimcha

Kimcha New Member

The tool moves your Applications folder to the big partition and creates a link to it. So all new programs that are installed in the application folder are automatically moved to the big partition.
    But there are a few programs that are still installed on the small partition. I think only some of the command line programs and the programing languages like ruby, python and perl are installed on the small partition.

You can also move the Fonts folder, which is quite large to the big partition to free up a lot of space, but this requieres the use of the command line. As far as I know there is no app to do that yet.

To free up space you would have to do that:
    mkdir -p /private/var/saveSpace

cp -r /Applications /private/var/saveSpace
    mv /Applications /Applications.backup
    ln -s /private/var/saveSpace/Applications /

cp -r /System/Library/Fonts /private/var/saveSpace/
    mv /System/Library/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts.backup
    ln -s /private/var/saveSpace/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts

cp -r /Library/Wallpaper /private/var/saveSpace
    mv /Library/Wallpaper /Library/Wallpaper.backup
    ln -s /private/var/saveSpace/Wallpaper /Library/

Then reboot the phone and see if everything works correctly and then:
    rm -rf /System/Library/Fonts.backup
    rm -rf /Applications.backup
    rm -rf /Library/Wallpaper.backup

Since you already moved your Applications folder, you can skip the steps that move Applications.

Greetings, Kim
  3. Andymans

Andymans New Member

Thanks for a very informative reply Kim. Im happy now, thankyou. Andy
  4. scottthebum

scottthebum New Member

Kimcha,

Of all the other methods to clear up space that Ive tried--BossTool, iphonebrowser--yours worked the best and I encountered no mistakes whatsoever. Quickest too. Nothing to delete or copy over the span of half hours or so. Thanks and many cheers!
    - JP NYC

FOR ANYONE ELSE
    Executed all of these commands in putty. Forgot where I got it. Search the forums if you need it, too. Good luck.
  5. imoldcat

imoldcat New Member

Thanks a lot, Kim. : )
  6. mombopete

mombopete Member

Thank you. The best and easiest way I have ever done this. Nice work!!!
  7. NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005 New Member

Can somebody help me free up space so that I can jailbreak my ipod with the latest firmware?
  8. josht128002

josht128002 New Member

this actually was the only process that i found to work on my touch on 1.1.3 jb. Thanks alot kim
  9. GygaMan

GygaMan New Member

Pin This Please!

Please PIN this as it the best way to free space and no need to install stuff on your iPod or iPhone.

Thanks

GygaMan
  10. stlunatic102

stlunatic102 New Member

not sure what did it, since i've been doing some messing around today. but i just executed these lines up to the reboot. i restarted and got a spinning wheel over my apple logo at first, then it froze. so i restarted again and i'm stuck at the apple logo now. any ideas here?

edit: i just ssh'ed into my ipod to browse the contents and it looks like all the lines executed just fine, all the shortcuts are there. but why is my ipod frozen...