Better Map Program?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by erdrickk, Oct 21, 2007.

1. erdrickk

erdrickk New Member

The maps program that came with the Iphone is neat...but kinda useless on the touch...since it requires an internet connection to get new directions from start point to end point.....

I guess this is great if you are at home and want to pre-plan a route before you leave...

But what if you were to get lost ....being in your car you have no internet connection and are unable to get new directions.

My question is....is there a large map program that you can get that has all the maps and directions built in, as in on the hard drive so that it doesnt require the internet to download new directions?

thanks
  2. samhain959

samhain959 New Member

probably, but it would be a mega-large file
  3. ipod touch master

ipod touch master New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    that would be sweet
  4. mitchiee

mitchiee New Member

I agree It would be huge but you have 16 GB of storage. But i would imagine someone is working on it
  5. erdrickk

erdrickk New Member

man I sure hope so
  6. DemonDuck

DemonDuck New Member

i can never get directions even when i do have an internet connection. I assumed it was because i'm not in the US.
  7. flash84x

flash84x New Member

probably so

yea i would love to see a cacheable version of the maps.app so i could access stuff offline, even if it was broken down by state so it wasnt too large would be awesome

i did find that if you want to save routes that you created while in a wifi zone you can do so by making copies of the Route.plist file located under /var/root/Library/Maps/Route.plist

it is kinda of interesting though, maps.app wont write the Route.plist until you close the app, open another one and close it so for example

open maps.app, create a route, press home, open calculator.app, press home, and how you will have a Route.plist, then copy that Route.plist to 'myroute' (can be anything), next create another route and do the same thing but copy it to 'myroute2' (again, anything).... now when you are in a non-wifi zone you can copy myroute back to Route.plist and open up the maps app, viola you have your previous route without using wifi.... id like to see an app to do this for you, i wrote a basic shell script that makes it easier but still not ideal.... also i would like to see a way to copy the text version of directions to the notes.app, but i am not sure how to convert the binary plist to xml and then put it into the notes.app, anyway this is kinda off topic so ill stop

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Not off topic at all. You sound like you know what the heck you are doing. Someone should help this dude create this application. Apple would poop themselves.
  9. chrischris292

chrischris292 New Member

lol wow! lololololololol
  10. YOHAN

YOHAN New Member

Yes! I need a map for San Francisco!

Please Register or Log in to view images