Better Audio on OS 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by Mindfield, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Okay, I've been using OS 2.0 on my Touch for a few days now, and I'm pretty sure I'm not just imagining it anymore: Did they tweak the EQ? Because I swear music sounds better now. Specifically, bass is a lot smoother, with less distortion and interference with the highs. (I'm using the R&B EQ setting because it's always been the only one that provides the best dynamic range with enough highs and lows and a full-bodied midrange.)

Anyone else noticing this?
  2. akki007

akki007 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I want to disagree here but I can't, in fact, I agree! I use the Latin EQ which in 1.1.4 produced a lot of bass distortion on some tracks. After upgrading to 2.0... distortion is no more! So yes, I would say that apple have tweaked something.
  3. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I'm actually quite positive they did. I almost always just shuffle all my songs so the selection I listen to is random. However, coming home this evening NIN's The Perfect Drug came on, and I know with absolute certainty that this had distorted bass on the older firmware, whereas now it sounds much smoother, more balanced with the rest of the song. In fact, although other than this one song I couldn't point to any specific tune in my library that I knew distorted, the fact that none of them do now tells me everything I need to know.

That alone just made the 2.0 upgrade worthwhile.

Also, I noticed they fixed the alarm bug. (If an alarm came on while you were listening, it would fade out the music and trigger the alarm. When you dismissed it, the music would fade back in but the internal EQ settings flattened out even though checking the EQ showed you were supposedly still on the same setting as always. You had to pick another EQ setting and then switch back to your preferred one to get your EQ back.)