Better alternative to Backgrounder?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by tmitbyh, Dec 6, 2008.

1. tmitbyh

tmitbyh New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Is there a better alternative to Backgrounder out there? It seems to drain my battery like crazy whether I am using it or not. The other issue I have it knowing if it is enabled or not. I will go to minimize an application only to find out that it is disabled. Perhaps I just need a tutorial/better instructions on how to use the program.
  2. KalleKanin

KalleKanin New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There are troubles with it, yes. I tend to hold the button down too long when quitting apps fairly and then ending up background enabling them instead. This happens because I often hesitate a little when closing an app, thinking through if I need to do something else before quitting.

But Backgrounder is still wonderful as it is. It is me who needs to change habits. And I cannot think of any better way of controlling the backgrounding. Maybe if there had been a preference pane allowing for constant backgrounding of certain apps with a screen for seeing what's active and quitting all of them from a single page.

Not that I know if that would even be possible to make.
  3. tmitbyh

tmitbyh New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Sounds like we have the same issues and wishes. I tend to hold down too long and turn off and on backgrounding and when I come back later I forget if it is on or not. As you said if there was a way to see what you had backgrounded and be able to shut them down would be a nice feature, as would being able to turn it off and on as you stated. I agree that it is an awesome program, I guess I just need to get better at using it.
  4. KalleKanin

KalleKanin New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    A notification icon in the top bar would have been perfect for when it is enabled.

Now that I have gotten used to using it, I'm finding that Backgrounder simply doesn't work half of the time.

What I usually do for instance is to find a Shoutcast radio station and then enable backgrounding. I then go into Mahjong Solitaire, at which point the radio cuts out. It isn't buffering, it is Backgrounder shutting itself down.

Another example is when I have had BeeJive background enabled for a while and then go in again to shut down backgrounding. "Backgrounding Enabled" it says because it wasn't even on after all.

(I have the latest BG version on 2.2 firmware)
  5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The main problems with backgrounder are memory issues. For example, if you have backgrounded your radio app (which is probably the most popular use for backgrounder) and you open up another app, then you are at risk of running out of usable RAM. If you do run out of RAM you'll find that either the sound from the radio app will cut out intermittently or the radio app will close altogether. The best solution is to streamline your RAM use and free up RAM before you background. See my thread on RAM management - link in my sig below.

Note that backgrounder is a mobile substrate hook, not a daemon, and so will only leech your battery when you have an app backgrounded.
  6. KalleKanin

KalleKanin New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thank you!

Thanks a lot! I have read your guide with great interest and have found some things I don't really need that seemed to steal a lot of my thunder, such as QuickGold. (It's brilliant but it seems to eat a lot of memory and I don't think I've ever actually needed it).

I'm now running iStat and if I am to believe what it says, it can easily procure me some 40mb of available RAM.

We'll see how it all works out once I've tried it for a while with the changes implemented. The old problem kicked in after a while even after a restart, but hopefully I have lightened the load a little now.

Thanks again for your help!!!