best wikipedia app?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by felixen, Mar 31, 2008.

1. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know there are a lot of topics about wikipedia.app so sorry for making another one. But I need to know which version is the best and how to get it? I had the 2GB one on my old iPod, and it was okay but I hear there are other versions out.

Also, does any of the versions let you update the wikipedia dump?
  2. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    wiki2touch is the very best

... forgot the lyrics to the pokemon song

anyway get it here

firstly add the temp source and install the app

then get the wiki2touch transfer tool, download the database of your choice, index it, and then it auto-transfers it to your ipod

neat huh
  3. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

how big is the dump?
  4. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks man.

As for this:

mkdir /var/root/Media/Wikipedia
    cd /var/root/Media/Wikipedia
    ln -s /var/mobile/Media/Wikipedia/* .
    chmod 777 /var/mobile/Media/Wikipedia/*

What the f*** does that mean? I have 1.1.4 so I understand I need to do something manually, but what?
  5. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    so can someone please tell me what to do? I got the stuff from installer but I dont know what to do know. I dont know what all that stuff in my previous post is
  6. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    anyone? Dunno what to do after downloading the thing from installer
  7. KingPelvis

KingPelvis New Member

These are commands that you have to input into a unix terminal. There is such a beast which you can download to the iPod. It's called Term-vt100

First I think you need BSD Subsystem installed (all of this is to be found in installer if you have community sources and Bigboss's Recommended Sources installed)

On 1.1.4 I have installed 2 different fixes for it as well. I do NOT know if these are both necessary at the moment! They are:

BSD Subsystem 2.0 Termfix
    SUID Lib Fix

Now then... I know NOTHING about terminals and how they work, but since nobody else has answered:

You input the lines of code one by one and press return for each one. To me it looks like the first one creates a folder for the WIkipedia files in /var/root/Media/
    It then goes into this new folder and does something I don't understand before changing the permissions on it folder so that the wikipedia program can execute content in there. You should be able to do this with an ftp program as well, I think.

Going to try this myself, but I need a few days to download the wikipedia file to compress.

Good luck!
  8. Aduumzor

Aduumzor New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wiki2touch is probably the most prettiest and they also have charts and stuff.
    But the Wikipedia.app I think is faster loading times but it lacks info charts and lacks a beautiful GUI.
  9. KalleKanin

KalleKanin New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, I'm less than impressed. Completely pointless to struggle for days through poorly written instructions just to get a bad version of Wikipedia which apparently takes up 2GB of space. Or so it seems. Nobody is actually willing to volunteer the information on approximately how huge the end product will be.

Anyway, I followed every step in the OSX version and it simply doesn't work because they are omitting crucial points.
  10. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch

THanks I downloaded the stuff from installer, but dont really know what to do from here though