iOS 4.0 Best Way To Update to iOS 4 with 2nd gen ipod?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by extremerocker827, Jun 25, 2010.

1. extremerocker827

extremerocker827 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ive been cautious of updating to 4.0 because of all the issues 2G ipod touch owners have been getting. I especially don't want my music library to be deleted, that would be horrible for me.

So, whats the best way to update? Should I wait for a fixed update from Apple? Should I do the restore from backup instead of letting it automatically happen when updating, so there is less chance of it messing up during the restore? I haven't jailbroken my ipod so I might not have all the issues everyone else has seemed to be having. If anyone has any other ideas that would be great.
  2. LastChaosBeast

LastChaosBeast New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a 2g iPod and I have no problems whatsoever updating. I was jailbroken too.

Since you aren't jailbroken you can go ahead and click the Update button. If you want to do it the way most jailbroken people did, heres how.

Click the update button, and click "Download Only". When it's done downloading, hold Shift + Click restore(on windows) then locate the firmware and restore.
  3. extremerocker827

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    When I click update it takes me to the backup, which stops after about 10% of loading. Im considering doing the restore from backup(because the regular backup works), but I dont know much about it. Will doing the restore from backup cause iTunes to skip the automatic backup/restore process when updating(because thats where I get problems)?
  4. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  5. Eclipse

Eclipse Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Simple. Make sure the computer your using is where you sync music from, then transfer apps to itunes by right clicking on your ipod in the sidebar and clicking "transfer purchases".

Now, simply click restore for a clean 4.0 upgrade. After that check sync apps and music and it will sync them back from itunes.

"So easy a caveman can do it".
  6. extremerocker827

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The thing is, I have songs from multiple libraries on my ipod and I use the manually manage music option, so I'm not sure if that is covered on the backup
  7. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    The best way to update is to click update. nothing can go wrong and the process takes like 1 second.
  8. extremerocker827

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ive tried it a hundred times, the backup stops at about 10% and stays there no matter how long I leave it.