Best way to jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dshuffield, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Dshuffield

Dshuffield New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey guys! I'm new to this site, but it looks great!
    Anyway, back on topic. I own a 2nd generation 8gb iPod touch that runs iOS 4.0. I've been searching around on Google and YouTube for this but I decided this would be the best way to answer my question.
    Ok, so I've really been thinking about jailbreaking my iPod, especially after the new copyright laws (http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/26/technology/iphone_jailbreaking/index.htm). So, after searching for the best way to jailbreak my iPod, I've just become extremely confused because of the countless videos and webpages about jailbreaking all different firmwares with things like redsn0w, QuickPwn, and WinPwn.
    So my question is this: What is the best/safest way to jailbreak my iPod? By the way, i use Windows Vista.
    Thanks for your help.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. ironmaiden96

ironmaiden96 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    wait about a week for comex to release new spirit for 4.0 and 4.0.1.

www.spiritjb.com
  3. Master Dover

Master Dover Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i personally jailbreak all of my idevices and try to stay as current as possible with the new firmware, i have my ipod touch jailbroken to 4.0 and overall its pretty nice, but i would recomend waiting awhile if you havent jailbroken before, but if you really really want to, either use redsn0w http://www.quickpwn.com/redsn0w or downgrade to 3.1.3 and jailbreak on that firmware instead.
  4. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If your MB then use redsn0w, if your MC then wait...
  5. Dshuffield

Dshuffield New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have an MB model. But what are the main differences between Spirit and Redsn0w?
  6. ironmaiden96

ironmaiden96 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Spirit is easier and untethred! So u dont need to boot from a pc if u wait for spirit...
  7. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    He is on 4.0 so spirit won't work.

If you have an MB model, then use redsn0w it is better.
  8. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The best way to jailbreak is reserching/reading before attempting anything, learn the basics like SHSH backups, how to enter DFU mode? in case of any problems.

If you have a 2nd gen iPod touch on fw 4.0 then you should use redsn0w 9.5, redsn0w is the most solid/stable and complete jailbreak tool for 1st and 2nd gen devices. (you can get custom boot logos and verbose boot!)

Note: I usually give out official dev tem links for their tools, but their bandwidth limit seems to had exceeded
  9. avikar1

avikar1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah, read up on how this works, and what could go wrong before you attempt anything
  10. Dshuffield

Dshuffield New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to research jailbreaking a lot more than i have already. Even if Spirit comes out with a 4.0 jailbreak later, I think I'll still go with redsn0w. It just seems to be the popular opinion that it is better than Spirit right now.