Best way to jailbreak? (which program to use?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fusion, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Fusion

Fusion New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Is there a benefit to using one jailbreak method over another?

I am looking at the jailbreak sticky's for the iPhone 3GS and there are 3 different sticky's... which one do you recommend? Better battery life is most important to me. Which one is the cleanest/most stable?

Also, I have FW 3.0 clean right now, looking to jailbreak to 3.0 or 3.1. Is 3.1 jailbreak possible yet?

TIA

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Trisky

Trisky Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You can jailbreak 3GS with FW 3.1.2
    The ONLY problem is that you will have to connect the iphone to a computer each time you turn on/reboot your device.

I know nothing about 3.0.
  3. Fusion

Fusion New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    oh wow, thats a big problem

Thanks, ill just jailbreak to 3.0 then
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

If you have a 3GS running on 3.0 it is more than likely an early release; which means your jailbreak will not be tethered and therefore you will not need a computer to restart your device.

Check the 3rd, 4th, and 5th number of your iPhones serial number. It will be something like 9XX (mine is 924). If it is 939 or smaller you are good. If it is 940 or higher it may have the new iBoot which is a tethered jailbreak (if it is 940 or higher you'll want to check your iBoot version).

Also, since you have an earlier 3GS you are probably still on modem firmware (AKA baseband) 04.26.08 rather than 05.11.07. If you do have the earlier baseband I would try to keep it if you want to keep the ability to unlock it in the future. Yes the 05.11.07 baseband is unlockable right now but just incase the next firmware update changes things I like to keep the early baseband as another option for an unlock. To keep the early baseband you will need Pwnage tool or at least get the custom firmware made by Pwnage Tool. If you are with at&t and you're not worried about your baseband update to 3.1.2 then run blackra1n for the jailbreak (and unlock if need be).
  5. Fusion

Fusion New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Okay, I checked my iPhone, and it has the serial # below 939, so I can jailbreak to 3.1 without worrying about connecting to the computer every time I turn off the iPhone, correct?

Also: If I jailbreak, can I still unlock it in the future? (3.1 jailbreak)

Btw, if you know where, can you PM me a link to download the custom firmware? Thanks

6. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

1. Don't ask for links for custom firmwares here.

And just jailbreak it with blacksn0w and unlock it with blackra1n, easiest method.
  7. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    You don't need a custom firmware for blackra1n.
  8. thespartan

thespartan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Are there any problems if you jailbreak it when you are on contract?
  9. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Jailbreaking doesn't violate AT&T Terms of Service, though it does void your warranty.