Best Video Conversion Apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Teslanaut, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Better Recommendations for Video Converting. This is a response to Winterboard's thread:
    "How to convert high-definition movies for iPhone/ipod (free)"

Windows XP/Vista

Xvid4PSP for Windows - Its like a Pro app. But Free. It also supports x264 Codec & Xvid Codec for unbelievable quality. ALSO supports Subtitles <---

It can Import: AVI DIVX ASF MPG MPE M2V MPEG VOB TS M2P D2V MOV QT 3GP HDMOV RM RAM RMVB RPX SMI SMIL MKV OGM WMV DVR-MS PMP FLV.

And can export: PMP AVC, MP4 PSP AVC, MP4 PSP ASP, MP4 iPod, MP4 iPod 640, MP4 iPod Touch, MP4 iPhone, MP4 PS3, MP4 Xbox 360, MP4, AVI, AVI DV PAL, AVI DV NTSC, AVI Hardware, MPEG-2 PAL, MPEG-2 NTSC, MPEG2-TS, MPEG2-PS, FLV, MKV.

NOTE: Make sure you download the Combined Community Codec Pack (Which is Also Free)

Also, IT HAS NO MALWARE OR ADWARE. And it actually LOOKS like a Pro App.

There are too many video converters out there for Windows, and they don't even stand NEAR Xvid4PSP. And Xvid4PSP is 100% Free. All he asks for is a small donation when you close Xvid4PSP once in a While, but you can just X that.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Mac OS X

iSquint (Free) or VisualHub (Shareware) for Mac OS X. Made by Same developer.

NOTE: Make sure you have Perian installed.
  2. THaToNeGuY

THaToNeGuY New Member

i used to use xvid4psp for my psp and still use it for iPod touch.. nice selection
  3. VViper

VViper New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks mate, looks a lot nicer than my current one. I'll downloaded it and have a look at it.

Thanks!
  4. slain

slain New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Videora has been working wonders for me =] If anyone wants to check it out.
  5. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I personally use Super converter. It has a ton of options, and like XviD4PSP, has a lot of input and outputs.

I'll give XviD4PSP a try, though. Thanks.

6. fosibox

fosibox New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    WinAVI is the faster one for me ( 170fps )! and the only one that lets me convert my *.rmvb to mp4! without randomly failing/stopping the playback on ipod touch! tryed with videora, xilisoft, ipodme, etc. but WinAVI still is the best for me.
    it does merge; adds subtitles, etc.
  7. ChileTouch

ChileTouch Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I use Submerge, it has subtitle rendering into the .mp4 movie and merge 2 or more avi's into one!

It's the best converter out there....at least for the mac.
  8. ph2t

ph2t New Member

Good thread but I think some software is overlooked.

MeGUI is a crazy arse pro interface for the x264 open source command line encoder. Not the most noob friendly program, but it has every configurable option available and it's open source/freeware. The main downside (arguable piont!) is that you need to be familar with AVI Synth editing since it appears to only accept video input through an AVS (AviSynth) file.

meGUI is being used a LOT by the uber hardcore H.264 coders over at doom9.org since it's it's basically breaking new ground into the next gen media (h.264 is on everything, from your nolie N95 to PS3).

Also from what I've seen is that a lot of enocding software now has an "ipod touch / iphone profile" all ready to go. These profiles are usually limited to the official ipod touch / iphone playback standards, this sounds good initially since you will now feel more certain about encoding an ipod standard video that will be accetp by the touch/itunes but it doesn't give you room to push the boundries a bit.

You know you can actualy encode video at the original PAL/NTSC resolutions. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Common_Video_Resolutions_2.svg

As an example, a PAL DVD (720x576) looks a lot better on my TV (through ipod video out) than the Apple standard 640x480 (not accounting for aspect ratio). Also, you can encode video at a higher bitrate (up to 10Mbps) than the apple standard. this is great when you're looking to archive stuff for longterm.

Also, another great program (you have to pay for it though) is Nero Recode. I can convert at approx 272fps (yes you read that right) on my Q6660/4GB box running Vista 32bit. Nero is the fastest convertor out there, they have their own proprietory encoding software that encodes to the H.264 (MPEG-AVC) standard. Great to batching a bunch of Breaking Bad episodes I just downloaded ready for the trip in on the train to work the next morning!

Nero 8 is the software suite that Nero Recode is part of. It also does DVD's just as easliy as Handbreak, but a faster though. also allows you to encode at the original resolution for those archive quality DVD rips....

cheers and soz on the long arse reply.... lol...

ph2t.
  9. Giako90

Giako90 New Member

Used to use Videora Ipod Touch Converter, but it often converts videos which have errors o where audio track is not syncronized with the video one... so i'll give a try to Xvid4PSP, wishing it will work better...

10. Bungee

Bungee New Member

Same here, I just noticed that some of my videos converted using Videora has audio sync problems. I will give Xvid4PSP a try and see if it can do a better job than Videora.

I'm new to H.264 but have been encoding DivX/XviD on the PC for a while now. What I found surprising lacking on Videora was either limited or no options for many functions I have been taking for granted creating DivX/XviD files (resize, remove black bars, 2-pass encoding, ripping and embedding subtitles from VOB, selection of audio language track). To be fair, I use a basket of software on the PC to get the job done (VirtualDub, Dr.DivX, DVD Shrink... etc.) to exactly the way I like them.

The amount of time it takes to encode using Videora is also longer than what I'm accustomed to. I'm chalking this off to the higher overheads required to encode H.264 but I have a feeling that the encoding could be more efficiently handled by the software.