Best turn-by-turn GPS app?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by fred2028, Jun 29, 2010.

1. fred2028

fred2028 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've only used Navigon North America, however I'd like to know others' opinions on it and other GPS apps like Magellan, TomTom, etc.

For my iPhone 3G, Navigon usually runs pretty slowly. Like to from app tap until the app is usable without lag, you need a good 5-7 minutes (no joke). This process could be avoided by plugging the iPhone in to something, which is probably smart since the app drains battery life like there's no tomorrow (entire battery gone in 2-3 hours).

POI database is very accurate, only found 1 mistake (a No Frills in Toronto located wrong). Apart from the lag, the only thing I don't like about it is that you have to go through like 10 screens before your navigation starts. I wish the address can be inputted all on the same screen (same box even), and the next screen is for confirmation and options, and then navigation.

The iPod integration is unique, however you can't select which song to play, you have to make a playlist

GPS signal is good, I'd say a 7.5/10. Always accurate unless I'm on a highway interchange.

I have a Magellan standalone unit for the car and I really like it, but I don't know if the app would be worth it.
  2. yearoftherat

yearoftherat New Member

I've tried the iphone Magellan app and its horrible. Super slow to load up (on a 3G its over a minute) and tells me to do u-turns where you are not allowed to. The routing is also brutal. Not worth the price. Stick with Navigon or try TomTom 1.4
  3. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Navigon mobile navigator is the best I've used. Runs super fast on my ipt 3G. Tomtom is also good, but lacks an accurate poi listing.
  4. pyromatic

pyromatic New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Do these gps apps use internet or a special attachment? And do they work with ipod touches?
  5. fred2028

fred2028 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ya I'm wondering, for iPods, do they use a special external GPS unit? And for iPhones, it's good to go, no Internet required. There are some like CoPilot that use Internet, however the ones that are massive in size are all offline. You will need Internet for Live Traffic in Navigon though, but that's a $25 in-app purchase.
  6. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yes, iPods will need a gps receiver. They are pretty cheap. Or, you could get an app from cydia called roqyBT which costs 8 euro for a license. That way you could use a Bluetooth gps unit