Best setting for handbrake 0.9.3 for converting video to play output on TV

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by golu, Mar 16, 2009.

?

What video converter software do you use on your Ipod Touch

Poll closed Apr 15, 2009.
  1. Handbrake

66.7%
  2. Jodix

16.7%
  3. Videora

16.7%
  4. Paid softwares

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. golu

golu New Member

Hi,
    I own a 1st gen Ipod touch.
    I am excited about the new HB 0.9.3 since it allows me to convert video files (& not just DVDs) for playing on ipod touch. However the presets do not come with any setting for optimization for playing the video output on a TV. I have a 29 inch CRT, and I would like to know what would be the best preset OR customized setting for playing the files on TV. A large size would generally be tolerable for a good quality file since I would delete the file in most cases, or store it in an external HD later.
    I searched a lot of forum including this one, and the wiki at handbrake too, however could not find a specific reply to this query.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The standard iPhone/iPod Touch format should do you just fine. If you're really that paranoid about the quality, bump up the resolution to around the Max (Depending on the input file's resolution) If its a DVD Rip that you're converting, it should be no more than 720 pixels wide.
  3. golu

golu New Member

Apologize in advance for being a noob, where do I bump up the resolution?
    Also the default for the ipod touch setting is 480 pixel wide. Are you suggesting that I change that if I am converting a DVD rip, to 720 pixel?
    What about 2-pass encode/ turbo first pass and any of the advanced settings?
    Thanks again
  4. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You have a CRT television that you plan to watch your iPod Touch on right? So its not going to be widescreen and its pretty small. The standard setting for iPod Touch/iPhone should do you just fine. To bump up the video resolution, there should be a button labeled "Picture" or "Picture Setting" in the main UI. Also, don't go too high, or you won't be able to sync it to your device. For most movies (Depending on the aspect ratio) 720 width and below should be fine. 704 would be the safest. Height will automatically adjust along with the Width.
  5. golu

golu New Member

Thanks, that did clarify the situation quite clearly.
    So I need to change the default settings a bit, just as I thought.
    I assume that the 2-pass coding and turbo pass setting would make the file size a bit smaller, while maintaining the same quality, and taking much longer to encode?
    Regards
  6. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Don't enable Two Pass. Its pointless really and won't really make it smaller at all. And it would take a lot longer than usual. Just keep the default iPhone and iPod Touch settings, no need to change anything aside from, if you want, the Picture Settings.
  7. golu

golu New Member

One last query,
    My friend has a 42 inch plasma HDTV, if I wanted to take my ipod touch and play movies on his TV, what settings would you recommend for the BEST quality.
    I really appreciate the fast, informative and clear response,
    Thanks
  8. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you're doing it on a 42 inch TV, select the iPhone/iPod Touch setting, of course. That would set a baseline for it being able to be synced. Tgeb, as again, raise the resolution a bit, around the same numbers as mentioned. You can probably raise the "Constant Quality" area by around 5 - 10 % if you're a real qualityphile, though if you sit from a far enough distance, say from TV to Couch, you won't actually notice any difference until you get really close to the Television itself.

Though in your case, since its a 42 inch TV, it might seem a bit more revealing, in terms of quality, because the resolution is so high (1920 x 1080, somewhere around that). Unless your TV uses bigger pixels, which incase gives a smaller resolution (1280 x 720, around there)

Its up to you, if you can really detect the quality period. Find the exact resolution and specs of your TV online. That would help a bit more.