best prepaid option for iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uncutshadow, Feb 23, 2009.

1. uncutshadow

uncutshadow New Member

i am about to get an iphone and i plan to jailbreak/unlock it. i plan to use a prepaid sim card but i have no idea which service provider has the best prepaid option that is compatible with the iphone

i dont do much calling, i text here and there *note: this will not be my primary phone* the most i will be using it for is surfing the web from time to time and other apps from the appstore (data plan)
    * i have looked at the at&t go phone plan and it looks like it sux
    *i have looked at the tmobile pay as you go plan. seems decent but i have read that the tzones hack for unlimited data is no longer available

are there any other service providers that have a good prepaid plan? what do you think is the best option for the iphone
  2. ipodtouchesrule

ipodtouchesrule Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If your not going to use the phone, and you don't text a lot, why don't you just stay with an iPod?
  3. uncutshadow

uncutshadow New Member

there are not a lot of wifi connections around where i live. and also the prepaid plan is a temporary thing until i get a job which will probably happen in the summer. ultimately i plan on using the iphone in college.

i did some research:
    at&t looks pretty good. a bit pricey but it apears to be good

tmobile looks better in price, i heard the service sux though
  4. IDK12

IDK12 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So does the iphone works with prepaid card ? like the Gophone or something similar?
  5. uncutshadow

uncutshadow New Member

yup. it sure does. first you have to unlock/jailbreak it first. then you should be able to use any sim card that is compatible, gophone or not
  6. mrgono3

mrgono3 New Member

im on the t-mobile prepaid plan. If you fill up your account with a $100 card than each minute is only 10 cents.

Txts are 10 cents to send and 5 to receive.

you can also switch to the sidekick plan (unlimited texting and data for $1 a day with only 15 cents per minute). what ive dont if i need data for a day is switch to the sidekick plan for 1 day and than switch back. It works and is awesome.
  7. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I was on the GoPhone plan until AT+T did away with the unlimited data and ended up switching to a regular plan....

AT+T definitely had better service and I am not sure but you might be able to get the 3G service with the GoPhone. However, the best plan with AT+T is $20 for 100MB. I was actually surprised as I thought I would use more MB's than I do and the 100MB is fine with me.

T-Mobile's data does not seem to be as fast as AT+T's and it is somewhat unreliable but it works OK.

Also, T-Mobile does not offer their T-Zones to new customers. They still provide it to existing customers who have it, but even existing customers cannot get the T-Zones.
  8. rujoesmith

rujoesmith New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
  9. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If your in the USA then it's T-Mobile with $100 (ten cents per minute, etc) and then you change the APN and use safaris through a tunnelling site for free Internet. There's a thread on it in the iPhone General chat foum. It's named T-Mobile free data or something.
  10. Halamire

Halamire New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have mine pre-paid or pay as you go
    i pay 49.95 a month or whenever i want to for my service
    i have everything unlimited
    but i go through Viaero and so far i only Know they are in the midwest
    Nebraska-Colorado area