Best offline map program? (not requiring jailbreak)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by zergslayer69, Dec 9, 2008.

1. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So I ordered an ipod touch 2g recently and I like how the iphone has the whole google maps/gps thing, as for the touch, is there a program that we can install without jailbreaking that allows us to download say....the map of the entire city of San Francisco?

And as a side question, is it possible to use the ipod touch as a usb drive? Just something to transfer documents and files around?
  2. Storm Surge

Storm Surge New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    no there isn't, there is one if you jailbreak though.
  3. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ah shucks, well it was worth asking. And as for my 2nd question from the first post, is it possible to make the ipod touch function as an external harddrive? Perhaps either natively or from installing an application? (without jailbreaking of course)

Edit: And I may as well just ask now if the ipod touch 2g gets jailbroken soon. What's the name of the preferred offline map program?
  4. keplers

keplers New Member

Hey man!

Ive got my IPT some little time ago (maybe 1 month - not sure), and as its great dude... I got it mainly for the other features rather than for listening music - thoug later i found out the sound of this thing is just superb (im a musician - trust my opinion ;P )

So, answering your question (with the little experience i have), I'd say that untill some Jailbreak comes out, you cant use the IPT as a pen drive.

BUT what you can do is - upgrade your IPT to the 2.2 firmware and then donwload the app called "discover" from the appstore. People say this app sucks, but dont listen to them, cause it works just fine for me (i use it mainly for reading). This app allows you to add files to ur IPT via web browser and wi-fi (you cant do it if you dont have wifi network) and you will be able to open some of the files on the IPT itself (the app doesnt support too many formats, but its quite good with the ones it suports). - This program is easy to use, and the old version is a bit buggy (i dont know if the new one fixes it), but you will learn how to avoid any trouble in a short time...
    PS: If you have the 2.2 firmware, and you get some "withe screen of death" just restart the device, and it should fix it.

If you dont like this app, you can try some others - but then you will have to research how they work (i did, and i dont recomment any of them).

As about the offline mapping: I dont know of a way to take an entire city and browse offline. But, with the standart map app that comes with the IPT 2G, i have managed to grab some good amount of map (sure less than an entire city) and use it offline... I dont know how big is the cache, but you should know that there is one, and you can have some amount of map to work with, without jailbreaking...

Anyway, hope my english was clear enough. Sorry if its confused, i suck at putting down my ideas, and its my first time participating in some forum.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Cheers!
  5. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch

ooooowkay..? (seems a bit confusing)
    haha.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. giannaros

giannaros New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
  7. jhloa2

jhloa2 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Google earth has an offline mode. It just stores a cache so you have looked there before
  8. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Google earth you say? I'll let it cache the crap out of itself then =p

I've heard about apple rescue and other programs like touch copy that SUPPOSEDLY enable file transferring. Have you guys heard of this kinda stuff?

p.s. and thanks for the long informative post earlier
  9. ManGforce

ManGforce Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    heey i have jailbroken ipod touch..
    im just wondering, if i install this app from cydia, will i be able to use google maps offline? like anyplace i want? will it give directions? and will i be able to search stuff on it offline?

thanks
  10. jordor07

jordor07 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    nice bump.