Best headphones for me?

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by TheConqueror, Jun 28, 2009.

1. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

Hey guys what are some good headphones? I would like around ear ones and I saw some skullcandy Hesh headphones but people on here say slullcandies suck. My budget is basically as low as possible, the slullcandies were around 80$
  2. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have a pair of Skullcandy Hesh, and I absolutely love them. I'm not sure why exactly everyone on here claims they suck, because imo (and also everyone I know irl that has them) they have great sound quality.

And I'm going to quote myself from another thread where I just talked about skullcandys, because I don't feel like typing essentially the same thing all over again.
    My conclusion, I would get Skullcandys. Try to find another pair of around-ear headphones that have the same small price tag of skullcandys, great quality in sound and manufacturing, and a lifetime warranty. I doubt you will be able to do so.

Also, I don't know where you are looking to buy your skullcandys at, but $80 for the Hesh is pretty high, I got mine for $50 and thats how much I saw them for everywhere I looked.
  3. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Have you ever tried any other headphones for around the same price as the Skullies?
  4. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Sure I've tried some JVC, some Sony ones and I think one other one, and yeah sure they all sound about the same as Skullcandy (quality wise) but none of them have to cool physical look that Skullcandy does, and also none of them come with a Lifetime Warranty.
  5. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

My bad, they aren't actually 80$, mistake there..

So I should go for the Hesh? Do they feel sturdy? And are the soft? I heard they sound flat..
    Also @ iPot I would really appreciate it if you could upload a pic of yours
  6. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Sure here's a pic of mine:

Please Register or Log in to view images

As for comfort, they are very comfy imo. Even the middle bar (that goes across your head) has a nice foam type insert for comfort (a lot of around ears the middle is just plastic).

The only problem with comfort I've ever heard is from my friend who has slightly larger than normal ears. He says the ear cup on the Hesh is too little for his ears, so he just lets the foam push the top of his ears against his head, and he says that after an hour or so, this will start to hurt his ears. But for most people, the ears will fit inside fine. There is a small gap in between the foam and the speaker cover which allows the top of your ears to slide up into, but if you have unusually large ears, you MAY have trouble fitting them.

They are also very sturdy feeling imo. Across the middle there is a sturdy, yet flexible, plastic thing that runs the length of the middle to allow them to bend as far as necessary yet still retain its shape so when you let go they fit any head snug. All the stitching on it seems durable and strong and I have yet to have any problems with string coming un-stitched etc. I really don't know how to explain it, but basically the whole thing does feel well built and durable. Truthfully, I would have actually expected much cheaper materials for such a low price, but they do indeed seem to use quality stuff and make great headphones.

As for sound, I can't tell you much here because I'm not really a "sound guru". I can tell you that these are the first headphones I've ever owned where I can really tell a difference. I know most people say that some headphones sound absolutely awful and some sound incredible, but for me most headphones all produce the same sound. However like I said, these actually made a difference. They produce a very clean and deep bass, and all the sounds in general do seem a lot crisper. Also, like most around ears, they do a very good job of noise cancellation. Granted they don't provide noise cancellation like say a pair of Bose do, because Bose actually uses electronics etc. to soften outside noises, but these headphones do have a great "sealing?" to them that do a great job imo of cancelling out outer noise.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Forgot to mention, there's also an in-line volume control so you can adjust volume without having to take your device out of your pocket, and the headphones also come with a nice carrying case included.
  7. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

Sweet, I guess Hesh it is..

I use to have smokin buds but they got stolen..
    Now I just have to find a place to buy em, I actually cant find them anywhere (canada)
  8. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You could always look on eBay, just make sure you find a pair with Free Shipping, because most things on there are in america, and you will get raped on shipping charges from america to canada.

But if you guys have best buys up there, that's where I got mine from.
  9. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

Ya we have best buy..

I will try best buy, but I just checked and HMV has them, but for 70$.. and only in black. But there is probably no way to get green ones I guess
  10. EdmontonFireRadio

EdmontonFireRadio Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Last week I was over at The Source and picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD-218 and I am very pleased with them.