Best firmware for iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PojaPoja, Oct 13, 2010.

1. PojaPoja

PojaPoja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi guys,

I was wondering what the best firmware for the iPhone 3G currently is, considering some users have brought up battery/laggy issues with OS 4.0, I'm unsure of whether to upgrade from 3.1.3 or not.

Can I upload it to 4.1 and jailbreak AND UNLOCK it? Is it worth it? Or will the phone just get slower or lock to the original carrier?? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!!
  2. applehacker

applehacker Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    3.1.3 or 3.1.2 both are same..............
  3. PojaPoja

PojaPoja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    and is that better than 4.0? should I stay on 3.x?
  4. Hardkaare

Hardkaare New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    With 4.1 you get more functions, and the ability to stay fully up to date with apps.

The only reason to downgrade to 3.1.x is speed.

But in my opinion get 4.1, It's really snappy for me I dont find it slow at all.
    The only tweaks I've used is: deleted shadow overlays, and deleted some daemons. Removing the over lays helps ALOT!

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. apxn82

apxn82 New Member

hey dont mean to hijack but I'm in the same situation. I'm on 4.0.1 though and it's real real slow. thinking about going back to 3.1.3. I cant do 4.1 yet cause I need unlock for tmobile. Do deleting daemons and overlays help with 4.0.1?
  6. Hardkaare

Hardkaare New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    If you want 4.1 you can use sn0wbreeze. It will keep your current baseband making it compatible with ultrasn0w, and activate it aswell.

I didn't notice a diffrence when deleting daemons, but removing the overlays is really noticeable. I've noticed my graphic heavy games run smoother after I did it. The springboard animations became smoother aswell.
  7. apxn82

apxn82 New Member

really? can you show me how to do it to keep current baseband? I'm pretty noob at this so alot of the stuffs I dont know how to do it. I got snowbreeze dl already.
  8. Hardkaare

Hardkaare New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Sn0wbreeze automaticly keeps the current baseband, no way to turn it off. (which is good

)
    So use Sn0wbreeze to create your custom firmware, and shift+restore and select your newly created firmware. You will then be activated and jailbroken ready to install ultrasn0w!

9. PojaPoja

PojaPoja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok, I will update to 4.1. But there's a small thing, I'm on a 3.1.3 (well actually, it's a cellphone that I'm about to get from a relative) so it hasn't been jailbroken or anything yet. Its a stock O2 iPhone 3G on 3.1.3.

Should I still upgrade to 4.1? Any extra steps I should take aside from the ones you just wrote? I really don't understand any of the baseband thing...

Thanks a bunch man!
  10. apxn82

apxn82 New Member

is this true? have anyone done this?