Best File Management/Media Players (Non-Itunes)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jontos, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Jontos

Jontos New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi. I recently bought an Ipod Touch 2G. I haven't used it yet as I can't install Itunes on any computer I have access to, and because I don't want to use it (if at all possible). I travel often, and don't have the permissions for installing apps, including at home.

What is a great alternative to ITunes for file and media management? Is it possible to purchase apps without going into Itunes? Can I make an account via the Ipod Touch so I can download apps on the fly? Is there an alternative online website to access ITunes? Like Meebo is used to access MSN?

Also, are there any media playing apps for the IPod that can play unaltered media (ie. Avi's, mpgs, etc.)? Do I need to jailbreak the Ipod in order to play these kinds of media files? Is jailbreaking safe? What are some benefits of jailbreaking?

Thanks.
  2. Sitruss

Sitruss New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    2nd Paragraph: Just use iTunes. You have the iTunes and App Store apps for a reason. Songbird is a good iTunes alternative for media, but the App Store is where you get applications. If you can't install anything however, then that is a moot point. There is no online alternative.

3rd Paragraph: Yes. Yes. Yes. Nearly everything that you see on this forum.