best Earphones (not in-canal)

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by gballa50, Jul 25, 2010.

1. gballa50

gballa50 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The in ear headphones simply do not work in my ear, like they fall out, make my eyes water, and dont sound good. Im a freak, but the ipod earphones fit best and are quite comfortable, the sound just sucks. So my question is, can anyone suggest better headphones that don't penetrate my canal haha
  2. thornet

thornet New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    maybe Koss porta pro headphones?
  3. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

4. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The earbuds you're using are too big, use some smaller ones and you'll be fine

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. crovian

crovian Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ^ nah he might be allergic to some materials such as silicone or something if it makes his eyes water....

the only brand-name earbud type of earphones I can remember at the moment is the Bang and Olufsen A8. The company is pretty well-known but I can't comment on the SQ of the A8 since I've never heard them but they are earbud style and look pretty comfortable for being non-IEM. I personally find IEM much more comfortable for prolonged listening
  6. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If you try putting earbuds in that are too big they make your eyes water, it happens to me when I try.
  7. crovian

crovian Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ya i just presumed that if it makes his eyes water, then he surely would have tried different type and sizes of tips that came with the earphones.

in which case, then IEM is not suitable for the OP and he should stick with normal earbuds or headphones.
  8. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    How about custom fit? I know they are tremendously expensive, but if it works than it works...

Or possibly foam tips could help instead... For the cheaper and more practical way out...

Hmmm... (I've never tried either of these, but with common sense I would think that they would help.)
  9. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

10. crovian

crovian Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The custom MIGHT work and I mean very low chance because a person who find IEM discomforting will find custom even more so because they go in further.

And what if it doesn't work? You can't return custom (for obvious reason that they are your ear impression so no one will be able to use it unless they get it remolded)
    And for this reason, resell value of custom is nowhere near what you'll have paid originally...

So unless the OP has money tree, I'd advise against going custom.