Best dock/speaker for touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sprigner, Jan 6, 2008.

1. sprigner

sprigner New Member

Whats the best speaker system/dock for the ipod touch on the market?
  2. iJoe

iJoe New Member

whatever you want it to be

Okay, let's face it; no matter which dock you purchase, your iPod has always been crippled in the remote capabilities. Either the menu button doesn't work, or cover flow is something left to the portable user. The biggest culprit of this is Altec Lansing, though offering some of the most high end sound on the market, you mind as well throw away the remote they offer with the docks they sell. The only docking system that overcame this was Apple's own Hi-Fi speaker system, even then only the iPod G5+ was in mind when the Hi-Fi was built. When you plug in the Touch, the features all but disappear. This probably will never be fixed due to the unique interface that the Touch offers. The only thing that can overcome this problem is if someone creates a Wi-Fi dock. (can anyone see the new Apple Hi-Wi coming?) As it stands, the only way to use your Touch in a dock is to plug it in and use the remote for basic functions such as play, FF, Rew and volume. Anything else and you're going to have to get up off your new Ikea couch to play with the screen. So, with this in mind the only thing you should shop for is sound quality and speaker robustness. The Apple Hi-Fi uses Harmon Kardon speakers and their own version of Bose's Acoustamass technology, so it's a great combo of the best reverb reduction and sound channeling on the market. However, with those two technologies being rather dated, the afore mentioned companies have created their own docks with speakers and amplifiers that best optimizes the technologies found in the iPod decoding hardware/software. Such as "compression masking" and echo reduction. So, your "almost CD quality" 256Kbs AAC sound exactly like CD quality, sometimes like multitrack digital to analog signals. Logitech has released some impressive hardware for their computer speakers lately with the best compression to expansion sound systems, so maybe it's a matter of grabbing some computer speakers and a dock to plug them into. Be forewarned though, because of the new battery technology I have yet to find a dock that will recharge/power the itouch efficiently away from my computer. So, you can probably wait until the the advent of the Hi-Wi or just buy what sounds best to you. Also keep esthetics in mind. If you want this to hide in your den or study so you can listen to music discreetly while working, hell, just get a super gigantic receiver with 4-way stereo sound satellite speakers and a honkin' Bass Boost sub woofer, but if you're like me and live in a one bedroom apartment with coffee mugs that match my walls and artwork, you're going to want to stick with the Bose Sound Dock (preferably the black one to match the sleek iTouch). Hopes this helps.

recap on sound quality

Apple: good over all
    Harmon Kardon: crystal clarity with lack of "room filling" sound
    Bose: Robust sound and good clarity with some "digital interference" from the compressed sound
    Logitech: crystal clear with room filling sound (w/ sub woofer systems) but not nearly as clear separate channels found on the other high end speakers
    Altec Lansing: Great system overall with severe functionality issues
    Other (idog, iHome, MStation): you mind as well stick your iBuds in a tin can
  3. Silvertouran

Silvertouran New Member

My first post, so here goes,

I just bought one of there babies called the Griffin Amplifi.
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/amplifi

Sounds fantastic and the blue light is so cool at night.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Its not battery powered therefore its not portable, but at 3kg you wouldn't want to lug this thing about anyway.

4. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Depending on how good of an ear you have, you might wanna check out the iHome speakers. My brother has an iHome under counter (can be used on top of a desk or something too) speaker, and to me it doesn't sound very good, but my brother doesn't mind it.

It is a nice speaker system but as mentioned above the sound is bad, and the remote is useless. So if you just want music, I'd recommend it but there are probably better options to come.
  5. ShuffleZ

ShuffleZ New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I just bought the Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere speakers on eBay and it should be coming tomorrow. Now all my hopes of a remote working is down the drain. But luckily i have a 1st gen iPod too!
    But damn, now i have to make good playlists!

But these Logitech ones seems like da bomb. Not as good as the bOSE ones but still exceptional. Heres a link.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LOGITECH-PURE-FI-ANYWHERE-SPEAKER-MM50-UPGRADE-B-LH92_W0QQitemZ370012937529QQihZ024QQcategoryZ109852QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Although on the logitech website, it says its compatible with the iPod Touch but didnt specify about the remote...

But its RRP$239 in Aus and i got it for $160! STEAL!

6. AaronMc

AaronMc New Member

7. ShuffleZ

ShuffleZ New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    YES! I just got the Logitech Pure-Fi's in the mail today. It is AWESOME! So crisp and loud. And this is the best part, some other players' remote does not work with the touch, the Logitech one does! And its my first time seeing my custom HUD for my iPod

But this is a great buy for the price. You can find it cheap on eBay

8. chrischoi

chrischoi New Member

IMO Logitechs are not as loud as the others. I would invest in the Bose, waste money on the Klipsch... or go with the JBL's. Bose is just on top of my list. Klipsch is bassy and loud, JBL are nice and clear. Logitechs are just not loud enough for me.
  9. AaronMc

AaronMc New Member

The Klipsch has any overall better sound than the Bose. Is all your paying for on the Bose, is that. The Name Bose. Its a nice speaker, but Klipsch performs better for half the price. I tested both prior to owning one.
  10. iJoe

iJoe New Member

like I said anyone you'd like

There is going to be debate with any which way you go with this. Everybody will have their preference. I went with Bose. Just make sure YOU go out and test your touch on multiple speakers. Take your own touch out for test spins (most retail stores have crappy 128kbs mp3 loaded on the display iPods). This ensures you know how your music sounds on the dock. I DO NOT suggest ordering by mail. If you do, hit the retail stores to test the dock first. Whether you spend a hundred dollars or a thousand you always want to make sure you get your money's worth. I went with Bose mainly for estethics. Though the klipsch have nice looking speakers. As for the remote, you still won't have full fuction no matter which you choose (browsing, search, home or library selection). The technology still needs to catch up. As for logitech, I agree, beyond their computer speakers they don't seem to get very loud. If you decide to spend less than a hundred; may heaven help you.