Best cydia apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Gary, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Gary

Gary New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    LOL I am new to this forum but I'm guessing there have been 100's of these treads but ya know. I am just wondering what apps to get for my iPod. Anyway if possable when your telling me them could you please tell me what they do? Thanks
  2. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    search...
  3. Zagorath

Zagorath New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well, it's really down to personal preference.
    I haven't jailbroken yet, due to complications, but I've made a list of a few apps I want to get when I do jailbreak.
    • Winterboard: Customises the themes such as a background to the springboard, and the look of the keyboard.
    • MxTube: Downloads YouTube videos to the iPod/iPhone's video section.
    • Make It Mine: Allows you to customise the top bar. Things like changing where it says 'iPod' to something of your choice. Or (I believe) allowing it to give statistics on the memory usage etc.
    • Backgrounder: Allows you to run multiple processes at once. Very useful with things like IM clients, and internet radio.
    • SBSettings: Allows you to change settings without leaving the app, by swiping the top bar. Very useful for changing brightness, or for turning wifi on or off without leaving the app. You can also turn off the auto-rotation, for using the iPod when you're lying on your side etc. You may also want to get the SBSetting configuration app.
    • Five Icon dock: As name. Allows you to have 5 icons in the dock rather than 4. You can also get another app which allows you to have a scrolling dock, but for me this defeats the purpose of it.
    • Five Column Springboard: As name. Allows 5 columns of icons for the rest of the springboard. To a total of 20 per page.
    • Categories: You can sort your apps into categories, to find the one you're looking at more easily.
    • iProtect: The free version allows you to stop people changing settings without inputting a password. Very good if you want to lend someone your iPod to try out or something, but don't want them changing your settings.
    • BossPaper: Allows wallpaper rotation. I'm not sure what else it does, or how well it works in conjunction with Winterboard.

Anyway, that's my two ninety cents. I hope it helps you get started with your (I assume) newly jailbroken iPod. Please come back to this thread and let me know which ones you liked and why. And also any other Cydia apps you like

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Will Finlay

Will Finlay Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    imobilecinema - flash video viewer.

lockdown - lets you password lock individual apps

gpsphone - Gameboy advance emulator

5 icon dock - give you a dock space of five icons instead of 4

android lock - lets you enter a pattern to unlock instead of a code or a slide

battery control - gives you the choice to change your battery meter to % rather than an image or both
  5. Zagorath

Zagorath New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    OK, I finally jailbroke my iPod a few days ago, and I've tried out all the apps that I mentioned, as well as some others. I'll start by saying that I am still using all of the ones that I mentioned, and I can vouch for their reliability and usefulness. I would recommend each one of them.
    As for the ones Will Fanlay mentioned, it's up to you whether or not you want them. I personally don't want the Flash app, but you may. lockdown does the same thing as iProtect, so I've not bothered to try it out, I'm happy with iProtect.
    Battery control can actually be given by SBSettings, by going to More -> Extras & Options, and then switching "Numeric Battery" to ON. You can also get Numeric Wi-Fi, and put the date in the title bar, show free memory, and more in this menu. It seems from what he's said that battery control allows you to only have percentage, whereas this gives you the option of both, or just graphical. If you only want percentage, then I recommend you go with that app.
    As for Android Lock, I LOVED it. Thank you for the recommendation. The one thing I'd like to know is, if you forgot your code, how would you get it back? The app gave a message to that effect, but I didn't fully understand it.