Best Buy and the 2nd/3rd Generation iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thewindowsfreak, Apr 26, 2010.

1. thewindowsfreak

thewindowsfreak New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Best Buy and the 2nd/3rd Generation iPod Touch

About a week a go I decided to purchase a iPod Touch 3rd generation from Best Buy. I went to Best Buy and looked at the tag to make sure I was getting the 3rd generation with all the right accessories. When I got home I hooked it up to iTunes and downloaded all my songs, videos, and apps.

After about a week of playing around with my iPod, I downloaded an app that lets you see how much battery life you have left on your iPod. It showed me my iPod specs and I noticed that it said I was using the iPod 2nd generation. I then went online and researched my iPod to make sure I had the latest version. Someone said to make sure that there are only two lines of text on the back of my iPod. So I check and this is what I saw:

Only two lines of text, so I’m good right? Well… No. It also said to check and make sure the serial number on the back of the iPod was A1318. It was not, it showed the serial number for the 2nd generation A1288. But if its the 2nd generation, why does it only have two lines of text instead of 4 lines like below?

I decided to go to Best Buy and ask them to swap me for a real iPod 3rd generation. The first thing they said when I told them about my problem was, “that’s not possible.” It is true that my iPod came in an iPod 3rd generation box with the same stuff that it would normally come with… BUT there is still the serial for the 2nd generation on the back. They said that they would swap me, and they brought out a new iPod touch. I asked them to open the box to check and make sure this was the real thing. They did, and guess what…. It had the 2nd generation serial on it as well!

Lets just say I’m done with Best Buy for now, tomorrow I’m going to a real Apple store and see what happens.

See the original post with pictures: http://thewindowsfreak.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/ipodtouchtrick/
  2. Max Peck

Max Peck Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Hmm ... interesting. I bought one @ Best Buy about 5 months ago. (Taking case off back). Yup: A1318. Just bought 2 more of 'em today for the kids. Will double-check 'em when the kids open them. Thanks for the heads-up.

Sounds like that particular Best Buy may simply have gotten an old shipment or something.

-Max
  3. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    What memory did it have? 8GB or more?
  4. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    My 3gen 8gb does the same thing. The app will mistake it for a 3gen because the app will just check the firmware. And since it runs on a 2gen firmware it'll be an 2gen when it's really a 3gen.

I bought mine online at Apple.ca.
  5. mcrow

mcrow New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It sounds like it is perhaps a packaging problem on Apple's part. I can't blame Best Buy for this issue, though it is odd.
  6. ShadowKing

ShadowKing Member

Device:
    iPad
    What GB did you buy? I'm pretty sure the 8 GB didn't get the updated inside parts of the 3Gs, so it was still a 2G touch labeled as a 3G?
  7. thewindowsfreak

thewindowsfreak New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just check out apples website and noticed that the iPod Touch 8gig does not come in 3rd generation. Oh well...