Belkin TuneTalk Stereo works with iPod Touch 1g!

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by tonybeyondo, Feb 11, 2009.

1. tonybeyondo

tonybeyondo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I can confirm that the Belkin TuneTalk Stereo works with iPod Touch 1g on firmware 2.2.1!! I got Fring to call me using FWD! Just tried this last night- you have to crack open the device and cut out a hole to use headphones at the same time, but it WORKS!

I've had the thing for 3 years and used it with my ipod nano. Can't believe I can make voice calls and record with my iPod touch now- fantastic

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. camogirlster

camogirlster New Member

That's great! I tried a similar configuration with my sisters Belkin Tunetalk Stereo, but without FWD and without headphones (What is that anyways?). I actually ended up getting the "This device is not supported" message after trying to use it many times

Please Register or Log in to view images

Now it doesn't even verify it's connected. Oh well, I bought a Macally mic that works... I'm glad you got the tunetalk to work for you though!! (I wonder whats different about our setup? Why did it work for you and not for me?)
  3. uncutshadow

uncutshadow New Member

........now when you say cut a hole........? lol. pics please. i am very curious about this
  4. Knightmare

Knightmare New Member

Can u please confirm this works, please?? I asked it to my dad, that he's on vacation on USA, so i asked for the TuneTalk, and i just really want to know if it works on the iTouch, because if i dont tell him not to buy it, i would waste 72 bucks.

Please answer soon

Kind regards,

Knightmare
  5. awesome761

awesome761 Banned

iVoice III FTW.
  6. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I can confirm that the tunetalk stereo works. I use it with a voice recorder application on the iPod, and I have used it with both Nimbuzz and Skype. HOWEVER, the mic covers the audio jack. You can talk and it will record, but there is no way to hear what the person on the other end of the conversation is saying. Can tonybeyondo please explain his mic-cutting techniques?
  7. politicorific

politicorific New Member

I purchased a Belkin TuneTalk earlier this week after finding this thread - ebay has them for ~$20, so it seemed like a better deal than building my own.

Today it arrived and I attempted to use it with my 1g touch (purchased April 08), but I couldn't get it to work with the skype app, fring, or nimbuzz. Is there some special insertion/power cycle, option selection, or switch setting that must be entered in order for this to work?

The back of my unit reads

TuneTalk Stereo
    (paper sticker that reads: 3)
    US Patent No. D546,811
    F8Z082-BLK FCC ID: K7SF8Z082 Fcc CE N10117 Z528 Made in Taiwan
  8. politicorific

politicorific New Member

Okay I did get it working, I removed the case with a set of very fine flat bladed screw drivers. Even then, the smallest right angled 3.5mm right angle headphone jack still obstructed the tunetalk a bit, I have to apply pressure and force it in order to be able to get a solid red connection. After that it worked.

The problem can be seen from the pictures I'm attaching. Apologies for not having a webcam that has a macro setting, as well as the low resolution thanks to the built in windows scanner/camera wizard

Attached Files:

9. politicorific

politicorific New Member

I went ahead and started sanding off parts of the case to get a better fit. I attempted to file down excess portion of the pcb, but ended up either shorting something or removing some traces which were vital to connecting the l/r line in connections on the dock.

Unless you have some extremely low profile headphones, or figure out a way to use the built in l/r line out + amp on the dock, don't bother buying this - there's too much stress placed on the pcb to last from repeated c*ck-eyed insertions. Although another idea would be to desolder the connections from the 3.5mm line in to another 3.5mm male connector, making a kind of passthrough. A lot of effort for this though.
  10. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Your tunetalk should work without any modifications on the 2.x firmware. When you plug it in, you should probably won't see a red light on the tunetalk stereo, but when you open a voice recording app (or one like nimbuzz) a light should appear.