Before you Ask - A Handy Guide

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by holbikwolff10, Jul 26, 2009.

1. holbikwolff10

holbikwolff10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Current number of "OMG I NEED HELP ITS BROKEN" type posts on Page 1 of General Chat:
    Number at any given time:
    1-4
    Answer almost always given:
    DFU restore.

So from now on, if you have an OMG I NEED HELP problem, please try this first:

1. Read the Rules. It is possible that the question will only get you banned, and it only takes 5 minutes. Bans last much longer than 5 minutes.
    2. Search the iPodTouchFans forums (there is a search button up on the top of the page) for your problem. This can get you faster answers while also saving other people's time.
    3. If your answer is not found here on iPodTouchFans, check YouTube. I have spent hours and hours on Google trying to fix problems with my iPod, and then make a quick stop at YouTube and I've got it in 2 minutes most of the time.
    4. Assuming of course that it is not Jailbroken, call Apple at 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273) and they will help you for free as long as you are within warranty.

If all else fails, then here is the tried & true golden method of iPod Touch repair.
    1. Plug the iPod into the computer.
    2. Turn it off.
    3. Hold Sleep/Wake button for 3 seconds.
    4. Without releasing Sleep/Wake button, hold down Home button as well for 10 seconds.
    5. Release Sleep/Wake button and continue holding down Home for 30 seconds until it pops up in iTunes.
    6. Restore.

Note: If your iPod fails to show up in iTunes, repeat steps 2-5. Once it shows up, step 6.

WARNING:
    Deletes everything on iPod. (but is usually the only way to fix it, so...)

Could a mod sticky this? I know there is a similar one in "iPod Touch Help" but it isn't exactly the same and most "OMG ITS BROKEN" posters never go into that subforum anyway.
    EDIT:
    I would really like to see this stickied. I will continue to edit it and make better, and I think if the name was changed to include "Read This for Faster Answers" than the whole people-who-post-those-wont-read-this problem will go bye-bye.
  2. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yeah, sticky.....almost everyone says DFU and Restore!!
  3. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yea but if they tell us what happen they might not have to restore at all
  4. BMatt

BMatt New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You realize, Hellishness, that all this is is DFU and restore :/

There have been many of these threads, and they never totally solve the problem.
  5. Hellishness

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i do reasize that, but on almost every "HELP MY IPOD IS/MIGHT BE BRICKED!!" thread basically the only response is DFU+Restore.
  6. BMatt

BMatt New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    And thats all that this thread is. Theres no difference.
  7. Hellishness

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    well yes, but this should be stickied because then it would stop all of the other people from posting a new tread about little problems.
  8. holbikwolff10

holbikwolff10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    If you have honestly seen an "OMG ITS BROKEN" thread where the poster didn't have to DFU restore, then please link to it, because that would be quite amazing.
  9. KG3

KG3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Good idea for a thread like this
  10. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    iPod touch helpdesk

Good idea guys... And I'll also open a dedicated thread just for the posting of help-related questions so that newbies won't have to open so many threads like what is going on now... Helps to minimize the clutter as well!

Please Register or Log in to view images