Review BeatMachine Techno & Rock

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Education, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    BeatMachine Techno & Rock

Please Register or Log in to view images

BeatMachine: Techno
    Category: Music
    Released: June 22, 2009
    Version: 1.0
    Size: 2.9MB
    Developer: John Jacobs
    Home Page: http://www.gabejacobsproductions.com/BeatMachine__Techno.html

BeatMachine: Rock
    Category: Music
    Released: June 22, 2009
    Version: 1.0
    Size: 3.6MB
    Developer: John Jacobs
    Home Page: http://gabejacobsproductions.com/BeatMachine__Rock.html

What is BeatMachine?
    BeatMachine is a simple music application that lets you create your own music with either techno or rock beats depending on the application you bought. The app gets you tapping to create the beats and music.

Features
    Both versions of BeatMachine, Techno and Rock, contain 15 high quality beat samples that let you tap away creating your own music. Sadly, that's probably the only feature available in this app that is worth mentioning. The app doesn't allow you to record and save music, there's no loops, all the essential features for an app like this is missing. This brings to me say that it can be hard to play multiple beats at once since there's no loops as stated before. One major feature the developers did wrong is the labels for the buttons. Instead of labeling the buttons with the name of the beats, they used numbers. This really just ruins the app completely since you don't know what kind of beats will play when you tap a button.

Visuals
    The visuals in BeatMachine are really simple but still nicely designed although it does look really plain. They have some nice glowing neon effects for the buttons that change from light blue to yellow press tapped. The app title stays at the top of the screen with the same color and neon effect as the buttons. There's also a really simple background that goes well with the buttons.

Audio
    BeatMachine has some really high quality beat samples that are all really good for creating music. The beats sound really real and makes you feel like you are actually playing the real thing. The great thing is that there's 15 completely different beats, allowing you to create countless music all sounding different and unique.

Reuse Value
    The app has different, unique and high quality beats, a decent design and nice visuals. With 15 different beats, and the endless range of different music you could make, BeatMachine keeps you entertained for hours. Sadly, it does lack in features and there's definitely room for improvements. BeatMachine most likely won't be staying on my springboard for long, even with the two versions.

Attached Files:

2. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    This app really does look good!
    Awesome review!
  3. touchfan93

touchfan93 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You left out one thing...

details on compatibility.

• Firmware?
    • iPhone and iPod touch (1st or 2nd gen or both)?

It would be more useful if those things were included. However I loved the review!
  4. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm pretty sure it's compatible with all devices. Probably firmware 2.21+ compatible as most applications are unless stated.

Nice concise review, not sure if I want to get it unless it has recording and looping.
  5. GabeJacobs

GabeJacobs New Member

Thanks for the review and I agree with everything you said. If I were a better coder, it would have looping and recording...
  6. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you ever get around to getting these features in the app or maybe just some updates, feel free to pm me to review the app again. I'm sure this app has great potential if you add some more features into it.

Also, to those worrying about the compatibility with firmwares, I can tell you that it works on 3.0. It will most likely work with all the other firmwares as well.
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    A concise and very fair review. Needs more functionality to take it out of the 'free app' zone into paid app. Probably not worth the money at this stage but hopefully the dev will polish up his coding skills and add new functionality.
  8. TouchCast

TouchCast Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    It looks good 
  9. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I like it.... but Boom has my vote for BeatMachine apps. Great review, T

10. Education