Be clear: Can I or Cant I Move Apps dir in Dev "offic" jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Jailbreak' started by myboot, Jan 27, 2008.

1. myboot

myboot New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Be clear: Can I or Cant I Move Apps dir in Dev "offic" jailbreak?

Everytime I get to the finale of the Dev Official Jailbreak of 1.1.3 Installer works... However, as soon as I move the applications to free up disk space, Installer stops working and I get the classic "Main Execution Script Failed" error when trying to install anything through Installer.app

Can someone please clarify:

A> It's possible to move the apps to free up disk space?

B> If so, how exactly? What is the new method? Because the old method does NOT work under the official Dev JB.

PS: Please dont say the solution is in that one 'old dev install solution' thread because I havent been following this non-stop for 24 hours, dont know the history of it, search isnt working on the forums, and I wont be able to find it. If you're tired of posting solutions to people's problems, I understand. But at least give me a link. Thanks in advance.

Old way =

cd /
    mv Applications Applications_
    mkdir /private/var/Applications
    ln -s /private/var/Applications /Applications
    cd /Applications
    cp -R /Applications_/* .
    rm -r /Applications_
  2. iTouchCesar

iTouchCesar New Member

have you tried boss tool?
  3. myboot

myboot New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Has BossTool been updated with a version that moves the Apps in some new fashion? Previously it did exactly what I have in my post.

Are you saying that the most recent version of BossTool worked for you after installing the Offiicial Dev 1.1.3 Upgrade?
  4. myboot

myboot New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Can someone please respond and save me another 45 minutes when the newest version of Bosstool doesnt work either.... Seriously, I've gone 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 at least ten times now trying to get this to work. I'm not looking forward to #11. Would love and appreciate an answer that might save me that.
  5. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i'll save you the trouble. BossTool doesnt work on 1.1.3. ive tried it. it doesnt so anything. it just has the spinning circle for 1 sec and then goes back to saying "1MB free" theres so many damn bugs on 1.1.3... the jailbreak team really should have waited with this release until february...
  6. alirz

alirz New Member

YES i was only able to move the app folder by using BOSS TOOL.34a. i also spent the whole day trying to use the putty commands but that did not work. Only boss toll .34a did.. remembwe .34a still shows as .34 if you check the ABOUT menu in boss tool, so ignore that, make sure u installed .34a from the installer
  7. myboot

myboot New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks, alirz. I really appreciate the info. There is SO MUCH conflicting info being posted. I just read a post that said Bosstool would only move the Wallpaper directory but didn't actually move the Applications dir. I will give this a shot.
  8. myboot

myboot New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    IT WORKED!!!!!! Thanks alirz~~~!!!

Ok, to anyone that finds this thread. If you are using the official Devs JB. And if you want to move your applications dir afterwards without screwing up Installer.app and getting "Main Script Execution failed" errors trying to install anything...

1) Install the http://sleepers.net/iphonerepo source
    2) Refresh sources
    3) You will see a BossTool 34a. Install it
    4) IGNORE the update that will show up after installing 34a. Its actually a previous version. Version 34. Do not update to that now, do not update to that later.
    5) Use Bosstool 34a to move your apps and your wallpaper too, if you want.
    6) Reboot your Iphone/Touch. Complete reboot, not respring.
  9. zisko

zisko Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    its down.... upload the app plz
  10. formal

formal New Member

Doing it via the terminal or through SSH was the only way I could do it. I didn't trust using the bosstool method.

cd /
    mv Applications Applications_
    mkdir /private/var/Applications
    ln -s /private/var/Applications /Applications
    cd /Applications
    cp -R /Applications_/* .
    rm -r /Applications_
    Then do a complete system restart.

This was the best method.