BCM4325 in 2G iPod touch not only Nike+, FM and Bluetooth may come soon

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by Exosion, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Exosion

Exosion Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

Previously I posted about how there was a Bluetooth chip found in the iPod Touch 2G. This chip is a BCM4325 and is a relatively new offering from Broadcom. Now, Broadcom has updated the product page to explain a little more about the chip, and if you read closely, you may find something interesting things about this chip.

Not only does it have the right innards to receive WiFi (which it is currently being used for), but it can also be a Bluetooth and FM Receiver, and to top things off, it barely uses any battery power!

This should be enough confirmation that Bluetooth capabilities will be coming soon to the iPod Touch 2G.
  2. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

I shall believe when i see it.
  3. yankees101

yankees101 Banned

so u can use it as an fm reciever, thats pretty awsome but apple probably wont allow access to any of that stuff until they release a new software upgrade or a jailbreak comes out for the 2g.
  4. yashrg

yashrg Member

wow! any hopes the new firmware might be bringing this feature to us? or should we wait for a jailbreak?
  5. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I think if (and I believe that at least one of the devteams will do that) the 2G is jailbroken someone will implement the bluetooth or FM fubction. I don't think that apple will add these or one of these features in a soon FW update...
    it was ever the jailbreakibg devteams which brought new functions and possibilities to the ipod touch - anyway let's hope

thanks for that useful info about the BT chip
  6. Exosion

Exosion Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I actually would have to say just the opposite. I think that the next major firmware update will include the use of this chip. I think that the gold master for 2.2 is still relatively far off, but I bet the final beta version released to developers will include the functionality of the chip for public use other then Nike+. It's actually a trend Apple has followed. They add and remove things last minute as surprises.
  7. ledhendrixman

ledhendrixman Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    hope this leads to listening to music through sterio bluetooth headphones. that wood be sick.
  8. Frozen72

Frozen72 New Member

Just one more reason I want to get a 2G iPod Touch.
  9. jessikur

jessikur Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well I'll be. Something to look foward to. Woo-pee!
  10. foppinanrockin

foppinanrockin Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i really hope an FM tuner comes out, it'd be even sweeter if the 32 GB iPhone has the same chip